Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Weekend of 10/5/07

I'm tired. It’s been a long weekend.

Friday: I took the day off work to finish painting Nicole’s nursery, which I was successful at. It’s a more melon-colored version of mint green. I also stopped into work with her to show her off- everyone fawned all over her which made me smile.

The house had a showing at noon and the feedback was that ours was the favorite of the day… but they have to sell their house in Chicago before they can move to Cincinnati. Boooo!

When I got home that evening we had more to pack and get ready. It was kind of sad but with all the partial moving we somehow sent all of Nicole’s diapers to the new house forcing us to go to Meijer and buy another pack. This of course made my dinner cook longer than necessary and resulted in an uneventful and bland last dinner at Kay Drive. :(

Saturday
: The movers came at 10:30am and we had 95% of all our stuff packed and ready upon their arrival. Nicole was very good – she sat on my lap and watched three guys work very hard and very fast at loading all of our stuff. Hiring movers was the way to go- they were so much more efficient than we would have been and to not have to do any of the work made the process almost unstressful.

What did take some emotional toll was when Nicole’s projectile vomiting started. Lisa and Kendall helped tremendously with getting her cleaned up, changed, and ready to go while we directed movers and worked on lunch. Unfortunately the vomiting didn’t end at the first bout, it continued through her next meal, forcing Kendall to make a Pedialite/thermometer run for us to Meijer. Poor kid slept most of the day but did give Lisa and I some scares with how lethargic she became and the multiple rounds of her eyes rolling back into her head. Dr. K prevailed though and her last puke was at 11:00pm.

Lisa gave me a new sense of awareness that I wasn’t fully aware of until after the conversation. After Nicole’s big 9:00 puke that required a change of clothes for both her (her fourth that day) and me, I stripped her down for a bath. Lisa asked me if it bothered me that I was covered in vomit. I never realized it but the mom thing has set in- I literally didn’t give my own clothes a second thought, they were a simple casualty of “war” and easily laundered. AUGH. I’M A MOM! AUGH!

Sunday: There are boxes EVERYWHERE in our house. We didn’t get much done on Sunday before it was time to go bowling. We won 4/4 games but that only bumped us to 8th place out of 16. It’s still early in the season though.

Monday: Whatever Nicole had on Saturday came out in me on Monday morning, forcing me to stay home from work. It’s been a LONG time since I threw up (perhaps those wild night’s revenge with Joe and Rick??) and I wouldn’t mind if it’s a long time until I do again. Not pleasant. Just as frustrating was how achy I was. Here I am, surrounded by boxes and things to do and way too ill to move and accomplish anything. At one point I stared at the ceiling for 27 minutes without moving. I did perk up a bit around 3:00 when I opened all of Nic's clothes boxes to sort them and put them away. She owns A LOT of clothes. I did take up the opportunity Nicole presented to go to sleep for the night at 8pm. Ahhhhh, sleep!

While I tended to Nicole, poor Jim put up the fan in the morning room as he was eager to finally check something, anything, off his to-do list. Unfortunately we were missing a piece and he has to call the manufacturer so even that didn’t get accomplished. Hopefully he can change out our front door handle tonight and feel a little better that things are getting done.

One other positive thing happened last night – our neighbor up the street, Shirley, stopped by with flowers and a welcome note. I was only mildly embarrassed that our house was a disaster zone (she knows what it’s like as she moved in just 2 weeks ago too) and I was in my “sick clothes”. It was sweet of her to come though and I'm glad Jim got to meet her. I hope her and her husband Rob can be our new friends! We need someone to fill in for the Sacks who are leaving us for Arizona!

Now that we've officially been in for 2 days here are the "WTF" things about the house:
1) we get no mail. I didn't even know the post office was allowed to deny service but apparently they've said they wont' deliver until 1/2 the subdivision is complete. If they mean the whole thing of 88 houses that could mean we don't get mail for years. Larry down the street apparently "knows someone inside" at the post office and is working on it for us.

2) we don't have a linen closet or drawers in the bathroom. How is this even possible!? Working on a place to put our towels and my make-up now....

8 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Lots of newer houses are coming without linen closets in them. They are now outside of them. I like them better inside the bathroom myself.

Poor you and Nicole. I hope you are feeling much better today!!! hugs!

I am sure your house will be together and organized in no time. Let me know if you would like some help.

Mamma Sarah said...

Sorry to hear you got a bug from dearest daughter! Sounds like it was revenge of the kids...

Your house is gorgeous by the way! I'm glad that Alex and I got to see it pre-moving in. :-) Can't wait to see it with your stuff all nicely arranged!

Katrin said...

Hope you could recover! Just wondering - did you also try to do some "projectile vomiting" or did you stick to the conservative way of getting it out, to be on the safe side?
So, your post office is run by the mailmen-mafia. Interesting.
Good luck with the linen closet!

Martha said...

blech. I hope you are feeling better. I can't remember the last time I was that sort of sick. It's been years. And I wouldn't mind if it were more years before I have to see it again!
that mail thing is quite interesting. I didn't realize that. That seems silly to me that they won't send mail until the subdivision is 1/2 full. I'd think as long as one person lived there they'd send mail to that one person....
so...neither rain/sleet/snow keeps them from delivering mail...but apparently not having a high enough concentration in an area will?!?

Gtemp said...

Sounds like you have to get a post office box for a little while. Btw, when is Jimbo allowed to get a motorcycle so he can ride around with me?!

Sarah said...

Vomit is gross, sorry you had to deal with it.

Not having a linen closet is dumb. It should actually be illegal to build a house without one.

LisaMarie said...

I'm still mad you never got my birthday card! Stupid post office! You could be 40 when you get it! LOL!

Megs said...

You would think that they would send mail.. it's like denying sending mail to someone who lives out in the boonies or something but you're not even that far... you're like... one turn off of a pretty major road and around tons of people!

And the linen closet in the bathroom?? Mine's always been outside the bathroom... in my mom's house and in the current townhome... the drawers though - that would annoy me to death!