Sunday, July 09, 2006

Weekend of 7/6/06

Well the short week lead into a short weekend. Jim and I did enjoy a fabulously prepared meal over at Tom’s on Friday night (we invited ourselves and they didn’t seem to mind so we didn’t turn down their formal offer!) which sealed his title of “good cook” in my book. For the record, Tom did show me the ENTIRE house on my tour. We played games and generally hung out with Kelly, Toby, Brian, Tom, Jenny, Jenny’s sisters Nikki and Cindy, and eventually Tom’s sister Molly (who has more energy than a 5 year old, she’s amazing).

Tom won out over Jenny and lent me my next book, The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger, by Stephen King. Just starting at the airport this morning I’m about half way though. It’ll be a pathetic day if I finish it tonight. In fact, I might specifically not read it just to make sure it lasts me my whole trip.

Last night Rusty, Diane, Robin and Bob came down from Spencerville and we cooked out. Real reason for their visit (beyond visiting their nephew and neice-in-law) was to go through Jim’s grandmother’s pictures. Wanda passed away about 2 years ago and now the pain has worn off enough of the kids (Rusty and Robin) to go through the albums. Nice trip down memory lane for them, kinda boring for me as I was only in her life for about 2 years and didn’t know ¾ of the people I was looking at…

Which leads me to today. I got up around 7:40am and got ready for my big trip to AZ. I’m here for a convention that I attend annually. While I’m technically in Tuscan, I’m in this remote resort that has nothing around it and would lead to a $30 cab ride if I wanted to go anywhere off prem. So, I’m kind of a prisoner at this place. The picture should give you a good idea of my view – lots of cacti, mountains, and an oasis-looking golf course in the middle of the desert. I’m alone here with no real friends at the show and obviously not anything real exciting to do, especially at night… I miss Jim already.

The show starts tomorrow and I am still missing a box which unfortunately contains my give-aways for the attendees (kites). I left Carol a message to check the tracking on it tomorrow. I don’t present until 2:00pm so I have some time to track it down.

Well, off to dinner. I’m starving!

7 comments:

Dale said...

Two comments:

1. Even the bedroom?

2. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NOTHING TO DO? I'd golf EVERY DAY. :)

Karen said...

even the bedroom, what?!

Karen said...

oh, yes! he did give me a tour through the bedroom too!

Finlands finest said...

Poor Karen!!! I hate to be somewhere alone!! You should have taken me up on my book offer too. It probably would have kept you better company at night than Tom's book....

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I'll debate Jen on her statement.....

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it. Yes, Mollie has way too much energy sometimes, but usually in a good way.

I should have given you book 2 in the series too. Book 1 takes me about 3 hours to read now. I didn't figure you'd read that fast though, so sorry about that.

Viki said...

Sorry you're by yourself - is there a good pool or spa?

On the tour thing - my mom was talking the other day about someone who came over and asked for a tour, and that she thought it was a little presumptuous of him to ask for one. Is there ever a time when a tour isn't quite appropriate?

This guy is in his 30's and belongs to the Detroit German club. He was in Chicago for business and my mom invited him over for dinner. I guess the situation would be similar to if I were in Cleveland and Lisa's mom invited me over to her house - she's the mom of a college friend, so at that point is it rude for her not to give me a tour? I wouldn't think so.

Does that make sense?

Mamma Sarah said...

Didn't you bring your toy with you to keep you company? ;-) Sorry to hear you're kinda stranded. The book is a quick read and a good one. :-)

Maybe you can catch up on some sleep. :-) Feel free to call if you get bored. :-D