Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Final Thoughts from AZ

I’m in the airport now waiting for my flight to Salt Lake City where I then transfer to another flight back to Cincinnati. A few notes about the end of the trip:

1) I got woken up at 7:30am from my office because a client was out of service. While that’s okay, what was very irritating was the comment the client made about how they wouldn’t be down if I was in town. Now what in the heck does my location have to do with their service quality?! I know that this person just needed something to blame, but geez… a little logic?
2) YES, I did go back to Signature Grill for breakfast but I had an omelet instead of the salmon at the buffet. I found out that I’m judgmental about portions and that judgment is unfounded. When I saw the omelet I was served I thought “$14 for this?” but in fact it, in combination with the hash browns and bagel, was plenty for breakfast. I made the same error the first night when I saw the piece of cheesecake I got for $8 but it turned out that it was a hefty portion and more than satiated my appetite.
3) My fear that all the action happened on the first day of the trip was right – my booth and that of those around me was empty. I think I only had 2 meaningful conversations in the 3 hours I was there. Bummer.
4) Even after 5 years in sales and 26 years of being an extrovert I still find it difficult to randomly walk up to someone and strike up conversation with a stranger. I have no problem at all doing so when I’m sitting next to them at dinner. I think my psyche says that I’m with this person for the next 3 hours so I might as well be friendly.
5) I REALLY like mashed potatoes.
6) Doesn’t matter how tired I am I have to go watch when I hear fireworks. There was a great 15 minute presentation at the end of the evening at the hotel and even though I had to get up for a 4:00am flight I couldn’t shut the blinds and go back to bed until they were done.

10 comments:

Viki said...

I have a hard time striking up conversations with random people, too...which is why the peace thing at church is a little awkward for me when you're somewhere people actually do walk around and greet one another. Anyway, I'm an introvert so that makes sense - it's good to hear that it happens to extroverts, too!

Finlands finest said...

I can talk to random people if they look nice and friendly. I don't know if I am a little sexist but I find it a ton easier to walk up and talk to girls over guys. I think this is why I have so many bathroom convo's when out on the town.

Anonymous said...

I think Jenny has a point - I find it easier to talk to girls too.

Mamma Sarah said...

You really like Mashed Potatoes??? What's that all about?

I don't like the random conversation thing. I don't think it matters if you are intro or extro...

LisaMarie said...

I have no problem introducing myself to parents I've never met before. We have a "Hot Dog Night" at the middle school and we basically have to do just that, walk up to total strangers and talk. Now in any other arena, heck no. I think it has to do with your comfort zone.

And I REALLY like mashed potatoes too!

LisaMarie said...

Oh, and for Jim, Kendall says he thinks it's easier to talk to girls too.....

Dale said...

I'm scared to death to talk to girls

Karen said...

just wait for the cruise - greg'll do all the talking for you!

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I agree with Dale, I'm generally scared to talk to girls.

Which is somewhat ironic because I think all of my best friendships are with women...........

TreyJ said...

If you have this problem with having to watch fireworks, don't ever go to Naples, Italy, or you'll never get anything done.