Sunday, July 02, 2006

Mid-Weekend Report

I got my wish today – I did a whole lot of nothing. I was worn out from a busy and frustrating work week and even more tired after 2 late nights in a row with friends (the Gardners on Friday night and great introduction of Tom to Jen’s friends at our place last night). I spent today finishing up Wicked, an all-around disappointing book, and watching MI3 with Jim at the dollar theatre. I took a half hour nap and I’m thawing out dinner for the making now.

Some details for those who are interested since Jen and Tom don’t report in specifics (only love-struck generalities that leave those not directly involved smiling but still curious)… Saturday night we had a whole gang over. The true point of it, in addition to having fun with friends of course, was for Jenny to present her new boyfriend to those friends most dear to her for “review”. We’ll all coyly admit that such rituals carry no real meaning any more (did truly they before?) as we’re all old enough to make decisions such as who to date without the permission of our friends or family. Regardless, it was a casual environment intended to let Kelly and Jessy especially meet Tom.

If I’m being totally honest, which I have no reason not to be as this is my blog after all, I was very intrigued to see Jen and Tom together. Granted I introduced them for all intents and purposes and had heard many glorious details about their affairs from each of them separately, but I had yet to see them physically together. Doing so, I predicted, was going to be a rather strange event as it was quite literally a blend of my old (HS) and new (adult) life merging before my eyes. I’m happy to report that it was incredibly natural.

Jen and Tom just fit. We played bocce and they teased one another. We played board games and they competed flirtatiously. Jessy commented at one point that she felt like a window because Jen was looking past her at Tom so often. They were intellectually matched on several games and laughed throughout the night. It was fantastic to watch your friends so happy. After all, isn’t that what friends want for their friends more than anything?

I have 2 more days of my long weekend and I’m so grateful for the break. The Alaska count-down is presently at 18 days…

4 comments:

Viki said...

Too bad you didn't have a video camera going. Not that I know either one of them well, it's still fun to hear about it. Glad you all had fun with the game night, too!

Finlands finest said...

I will try to add more details to my blog so Karen doesn't have to....

The game night did go extremely well. I think Tom and my HS friends got along tremendously well and I believe they will in the future....

LisaMarie said...

What didn't you like about Wicked? I thought it was a great book, very different, but very intellectually stimulating. Just curious....

Karen said...

I think what i didn't like most about Wicked was that i saw the play first and the play wrapped more things up and was truer to tying things in with the movie than Wicked the book was. Secondly, I didn't like Elphaba the character in the book where i could relate to her in the play. Third, i got tired of trying to figure out the political satire the book had weaved through it so i quit and just concentrated on the story.