Thursday, July 06, 2006

It's Pouring Underwear

Victoria’s Secret’s marketing department is out of control. I got a card in the mail about 2 months ago that was for a free panty and $10 off of a sports bra. Wonderful! It expired on 6/19. Around 6/12 I got another coupon out of my Glamour magazine that expired 7/31. I was really happy at this point because I was thinking about an overhaul to my unmentionables drawer and thought 2 free pair would be a good start.

I was disappointed when I went in on 6/19 to redeem my coupon and they closed early for the Semi-Annual Clearance Sale but figured I still had the other coupon at home so I wouldn’t pout too much.

Jim brought me home magazines from work (these publishers still think he works in Marketing!) and I proceeded to collect not 1, not 2, but 3 more identical coupons expiring on 7/31 from these magazines. It started to become a joke between Jim and I at this point.

All our kidding only breeded more insanity - yesterday I got a direct mail piece from VS that contained yet another free panty coupon and a $5 coupon for sweatpants of all things. I supposed that just because the pants are pink VS feels required to sell them. Who knows.

Story’s not over. I just picked up the mail – another frickin’ coupon!!! Same one as yesterday!!!

What’s going on!? I’m thrilled to death but concerned about the financial standing of Limited Brands – how can they afford to give away so much merchandise!?

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

People like me never get to VS to get the free undies....


I also tend to buy more when I go in to get the freebies....

Mamma Sarah said...

I want free stuff. :-) Hmmm sweatpants you say? Someone I know will be having a baby soon... hmmmm... :-P

LisaMarie said...

I got the first two coupons you talked about, but haven't seen one since. And like Jenny, I too end up getting sucked into buying something while I'm there. Usually their cotton underwear cause they're so freaking cute!

Karen said...

i'm going to check out the sweatpants but with just $5 off i'm not too incentivized to buy because i expect them to be expensive.

and prego what are you talking about - you're due in September when sweatpants would literally make you do that - sweat!

Anonymous said...

I got coupons in the mail and some out of a magazines this week too! Yeah for free stuff! I always get sucked into buying free stuff, but you can never have too many underwear! Especially when you're a 21 year old who only likes to do laundry once a month! Well... only when I run out of underwear :)

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Hell, they even send the coupons to me still from when I was married.

It does make you wonder who handles their mailing lists..........

Viki said...

I never get these free coupons either. Anyone know who to call so I can get on their mailing list?

Most people admittedly spend more when they go in - VS can afford to give away something for free when people are going to go in and pay for lots more.

This does not work with my sister, however. Most of her wardrobe has cost her next to nothing after the stuff she gets at VS and New York & Co.