Monday, June 19, 2006

Weekend of 6/16/06

It’s going to take me a few days to recover from this weekend. After one of the busiest work days that I’ve had in months on Friday I got home late and made Jim dinner. We headed to Geoff’s for croquet and cards that evening and I got a little reminiscent – J and I met at Geoff’s playing croquet and cards just over 4 years ago. I discovered that being Jewish is a whole way of life that I have no idea about. Jim and I were 2 of maybe 4 Gentiles there and I felt like we really stuck out. Not that I was uncomfortable, but I wish I knew a little bit more about the religion so I could understand all that was happening around me. All of Geoff’s Jewish friends relate being Jewish to almost every aspect of life from what I could tell- social activities, work, etc. There’s apparently an online dating service, JDate, that is specifically aimed at matching single Jewish people. Why this was surprising to me at the time I’m not sure; I know there are Christian dating services and several of them at that, but the fact that ones for the Jewish population was unexpected. I live in a hole. I don’t know. Anyway, it was the first time in my life I felt the need to convert to a new religion to fit in (I say this tongue in cheek as you can imagine).

Saturday we set out for the 4 hour drive north to the Land of Cleve for Sarah and Danny’s baby shower. It was hosted at her brother Ben’s place and was attended by about 25 family members from various parts of Ohio. I was in charge of games and people seemed to really enjoy the memory game I made which I was really pleased about. Sarah also has a very funny gay cousin that has a dry sense of humor that kept me chuckling throughout the day. Disappointing that he was pretty cute and the female population won’t get a shot, but I guess the gay community needs some hot men in it too. ; ) Sarah and Danny made out like bandits with a crazy amount of Pooh-themed gifts. Jim was a bit confused as to the function of several items (as was Danny at times too which I thought was funny and cute) such as receiving blankets (“why do you need more than 1?”). It was a L-O-N-G drive home from the shower and I was nodding off periodically but of course as soon as we walked in the house around 12:30 I was wide awake.

Sunday was just as busy. We got up around 9, ate breakfast and went to church. When we got home I had to pick up the last part of our Father’s Day gift (a bocce set) for dad and grab some groceries. Jen called me around 2 to gush about her wonderful weekend and her hot new boyfriend so I got to giggle for about 45 minutes with her. Father’s Day party was fun but low-key for the most part. Played the new bocce game (and won!), ate dinner, watched the US Open. When Mike came to pick me up around 8:15 is when things got rowdy. Mike is hysterical, plain and simple. I had so much fun with him out at MLK- we laughed, we gossiped, we bitched, we reminisced. We discussed how even though our lives are very different we’re still very much the same. It was great. He was great. He is great. Now I miss him and want him back again. : ( He sent me the sweetest text message when he got home that made my eyes crinkle when I read it. WHY DO SO MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE IN MY LIFE LIVE OUTSIDE OF MY CITY!? You kill me people, you really do!

So now I’m at work plugging away at the mounds of junk on my desk. I want to crawl back into bed and take a nap so badly but I’m encouraging myself to be productive!!

4 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Sounds like a great busy weekend! Be productive, if I cannot go back to bed, neither can you!!! ;)

I am so glad that you had time to giggle with me on the phone. I could probably go on and on still...

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I'll happily listen to the two of you talk about me.

You guys make me blush sometimes, even if I was involved in the act in the first place!

Mamma Sarah said...

I'll be sure to pass the note on about Nathan (the gay cousin) to him. :-) He'll enjoy that! Thanks for the super games and making the drive north. Who would have thought that 4 years of your undergrad degree would come in handy for baby shower games. :-D

Darth Shan said...

I heard my wife (another Gentile) took you down in Euchere (;