Monday, June 05, 2006

Accomplished Nothing

I don’t understand running. The concept of it in general I guess is good from a health standpoint, but the thought of moving that quickly when there’s no real need, ie nothing life-threatening is chasing you, doesn’t really make sense to me.

I’ve been feeling kind of down about my dad. We had a scuffle on Saturday night that hasn’t had me back to “normal” since. I sent him an email today that I meant, as in I meant what I said and believe it to be true, but now I feel guilty that I sent it because I think it might upset him. I thought writing it would make me feel better and really I don’t at all. This has me more upset because I think I might have made negative progress with the whole thing.

Which brings me to running. “People” seem to “always” say that they were frustrated with something and they "ran it out". I thought they meant that they started running and worked all the frustration out with the sweat, rhythm, and adrenaline of the activity.

So, looking for that type of relief, I set out of my driveway around 9:00pm. I walked about 300 yards to warm up and then I started jogging. Granted it was a slight incline but I felt like death by the time I reached my driveway again. My heart was pounding, my mouth was dry and I think my tongue was perspiring. I turned back the direction I came from and briskly walked around the block again just to justify my getting work-out clothes on in the first place.

I don’t feel any better mentally and I’m not really sure I feel better physically either. Downing a full bowl of the Cyclone ice cream Jim brought home doesn’t even sound good. Part of me says that I need to call him and talk this out but I can’t seem to work up the nerve. Besides, maybe he didn’t react like what I thought he would and all this angst on my part is for naught. I don't feel like myself at all as a result of this. I feel : P .

5 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Karen, Just call your dad and talk things out. You know that in the end he will still love you. I think with family and close friends it is always better to just talk things out and get the problem out of the way. Part of what makes your family so great is everyone understands that people are different and your family loves them anyway. That being said, your dad with love you even if you believe something very different from him and the two of you argue about it.....

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Although my family works very differently, and I would handle your situation much differently as a result, I'm going to agree with Jen here.

With this caveat ---- if you are absolutely in the right, then I would still ask for an apology. If you don't get a sincere one, then deal with that at that time, but still..... I've spent too much of my life backing down when someone else did me wrong. I don't do that anymore. Ever........

Mamma Sarah said...

Sorry to hear things are on the rocks with the fam. Things will work out, they always do. I would call your dad and talk things out. Hope things go ok... and I'm sure they will. That's the joy of being art of a family.

Karen said...

well, i got an email from my dad that was all pleasant (not on this subject) so i'm thinking the whole thing has blown over.

that or he didn't read the email. mom says he hasn't been any differant or mentioned it at home at all...

TreyJ said...

My dad and I had our differences years ago, and still do, but I think we appreciate each other more now. Probably part of getting older.

As far as running goes....well...I hate it.