Sunday, February 21, 2010

Life Update (LONG)

Things here have been busy. I feel like I open up every blog that's a "general life update" that way. hmmmm.... The following are totally random and a bit out of order but should sum it all up nicely.





I had big plans for Nicole's Valentine cake for her class. She still gave out regular Valentines to her friends but they were having a party so I wanted to make something special with my newfound skills. I went in on the 11th for lunch as usual but brought my camera to take the kids pictures (which they LOVED- what cheeses!). That night I made the cake and the morning of the 12th I got up early to decorate it. I think it turned out pretty good. I don't want to post other people's kids' pictures on the internet but if I did I think you could tell who's icing face belongs to who's real face. Can you tell which one is Nicole?

The other night Nicole and I had it out. She didn't want to brush her teeth. She wouldn't put on her pajamas. Nothing about the end of the evening was going well. I told her that if I counted to 3 and she didn't put her pj's on we weren't reading books. Fast forward... she's finally in bed and wants to read. I clearly and calmly explained the phrase "Good choices, good things happen. Bad choices, bad things happen" and reminded her that because she didn't put on her pajamas she wasn't getting any books. HOLY COW did that sink in. I've been hearing all about the good choices she makes several times a day since; especially at night while she's picking what books to read.

Chris and Nicole went to the doctor last weekend and got diagnosed with ear infections (double for him, single for her). Another round of antibiotics for both of them. Chris goes to an ENT on 3/3/10 and if the infection is still lingering he's getting tubes.

Jim's final interview for a new role (still at P&G) took place this week. Four candidates applied and he's been unofficially told he's a finalist. Should know this week. Good news - [the new worksite will have a gym (that insert is for Jim, I could care less about the gym part) and] it's only 3 minutes from daycare! He'd be in global finance for fem care which constitutes a lateral move.

Jenna and I started Jazzercise yesterday. I was blissfully rewarded for my efforts upon returning home. :) I liked it (Jazzercising I mean). She and I could laugh about being new and the ensuing learning curve but I felt good at the end - I was sweaty but not gross and I wasn't sore the next day. I'll work harder next Saturday. I think though that this is something I could maintain in my life. For the record there were about 30 people there, we were on the young 25% (average age was about 43 I'd guess), and there was only one leotard in sight (worn by a 65+ no less!).

OH, and I finished the Kabballah book a week and a half ago. Biggest surprise was that Jewish people believe in reincarnation! Few interesting tidbits:
  • The soul enters the body 40 days after conception which means that Jewish people are fundamentally okay with abortion until that time and not after.
  • We are all a part of one single soul - each of us is a small part and has to complete our "mission" on Earth by returning as many times as it takes to do so until with time the soul is whole again and we can all live eternally with God
  • Jewish people have a prayer for everything. I'd be a bad Jew as I could never remember 1) all the prayers or 2) to say them at every appropriate occasion
  • Hebrew is an amazing language for so many reasons - even the shapes of the letters and numerical value of each has a meaning that gives the Torah several levels to understand. My Hebrew = not so good.

Lastly, a funny thing when the girls came last weekend. She's a good sport so I hope she doesn't mind my sharing this.... Viki let Nicole dress her up as a mermaid by wrapping a green afghan around her waist. Nicole was all about dolling her up with a crown and calling her "my mermaid". At one point she stood back and looked at her mermaid and declared that Viki needed to "take your shirt off". Because mermaids don't wear shirts of course. She had us both dying with laughter.

7 comments:

Katharine said...

Is Nicole the girl in the top left hand corner?

Karen said...

she is!

Laura said...

Don't you love when you know you chose the right way to punish because they constantly repeat the words to others (Ella told her stuffed animals that mommy gets mad if she pees on the floor).

The mermaid story is too cute!

Good luck to Jim...

Katrin said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Jim's promotion. Nicole is the cutest! I love your little reports, especially when they don't include furries and ghosts. :)

Finlands finest said...

Nicole is sooo cute!!

Ms. Sarah said...

Love the Valentine's cake, super cute!

Good luck to Jim, fingers crossed for him!

I'm kinda bummed that I missed playing mermaid, and you should post the picture!

Oh, and I don't think I'd be a very good Jew either, for the same reasons.

Viki said...

I'm glad I guessed Nicole right, too, only because of the length of her hair, though. Oh, and the mermaid thing had me cracking up. Trey thought it was hysterical, too, as does anyone else I tell the story to.

Good luck to Jim!

I like how Jewish people have a prayer for everything, as it illustrates how similar many of the world's top religions are. It's sort of like how Catholics have a patron saint for everything and Hindus have little gods and godesses for different things.