Friday, February 05, 2010

Giving Back

I use the Internet for a lot, like most people my age.
  • I blog
  • I Facebook
  • I read the news at Yahoo! and CNN
  • We watch YouTube with Nicole
  • I place orders online after researching deals at a variety of sites
  • I get recipes at Meals.com
  • I read parenting articles at BabyCenter.com
  • etc. etc. etc.

Jim and I both feel like we take a lot from the Internet but don't really contribute back very much. Obviously no one probably cares about my specific input but I often don't feel like I'm doing my part in helping others electronically.

Jim started writing on Yahoo! answers - a forum where everyday people ask questions and everyday people who know the answers respond. Yahoo! in fact "rewards" the person with the best answer (which Jim has had) to help encourage you to keep responding.

I'm trying to write more online reviews of the products I buy. I read others reviews and take their feedback into consideration as I investigate products/services. I assume others do and I should help them if I have something useful to say.

Maybe some would politely argue that my blog serves as entertainment for others and that's a type of community contribution. Honestly though, this is more for my needs than yours (sorry) so I don't really count it as "service" to the greater online world.... Strangely I feel like others' blogs are a positive contribution as I do enjoy reading them, I'm glad that someone took the time to write, so I DO count their blogs as positive contribution.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Isn't it amazing how we use the internet for everything? I've been in a store more than once, seen a good deal, but decided to go home and see if I can find it cheaper at any other stores or online before going back to purchase the product. Helps take out impulse buying.

Interesting that Jim writes on Yahoo answers. I always wondered who did that kind of thing.

I like leaving reviews as well.

Finlands finest said...

What did people do 20 yrs ago without the internet?!?! I mean, really?!?!?

Ms. Sarah said...

Your blog is a significant contribution to my life. Otherwise how would I know what you think about so many things!?!

Jennifer W. said...

Karen I just wanted you know I love your blog and always find it interesting and fun to read!