Friday, January 01, 2010

Yearly Financial Planning

This might seem strange but I am a planner so maybe not....

Jim and I have decided where the kids are going to go to High School (pending any major changes in the next 12-14 years):
Nicole: McAuley
Chris: St. Xavier

Jim really likes the academics of Summit Country Day but I think Karen C's courses are skewing his admiration of the school as a whole. Further, the tuition rates are "a bit" <insert sarcasm> high now, muchless a decade + from now.

This was a semi-important decision for us to make now because it lead to us opening a Coverdell account for each.

Strangely, we do not have a kindergarden or grade school selected yet. Our religious denomination (Methodist) is a little tricky when it comes to private grade schools which are often Catholic in nature...

Between these new accounts and the 529 accounts we have already started for their college we're banking pretty heavy on their education. We think they're a good investment though.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

When I have kids and need to start this kind of planning I'm coming to see the two of you for a weekend.

Finlands finest said...

I think it is funny that you are planning for thier highschool before kindergarten or gradeschool. That being said, I applaud your financial planning and initiative!!!

Mamma Sarah said...

So this Coverdell account is set up through who? I didn't even know something like this existed.

Karen said...

We set ours up through Scottrade - easy to do but requires signatures. :)