Wednesday, January 20, 2010

2009 Recap

Year 5 of recapping the previous year....


Age: 30
Weight: 147 - this means i have 8 lbs. to get back to my pre-Chris weight
Height: still 5-6
Hair: Blonde and getting LONGER


NYE Activities: absolutely nothing. I think we ticked people off in past years with declining NYE invitations and therefore didn't get invited anywhere by anyone. That was a bit of an ego bruise but overall staying at home with Jim was not a dissapointment.


Best Of...
Movie: New Moon was probably my favorite for the hype and my low expectations based on Twilight the movie

Song: I'm in a Sideways kick by Dierks Bently. Oddly, when I YouTubed it to watch the video I discovered i apparently like a lot of his music per the suggestions YouTube sent at the end of the song.

Friend of the year: I know it's probably cheesy but Jim gets the title this year. Having a second kid, parenting the first in a way that makes me proud, being patient with my career changes, the expert managment of our household finances even in bad economic times, keeping me abreast of news when I don't make time to stay current, and having random philisophical conversations that keep my mind working put him over the top this year. Oh, he's got nice arms too.



Most fun thing of 2009: Having Chris

Most disappointing thing of 2009: Honestly, probably the same thing as 2008- the paycut that I took and the nagging feeling that I could be making more someplace else and *probably* be as happy...

Most impressive: beyond the daily wonders that are my kids, I'd say how much I like my new job. I'm really glad I moved over to the new department, I like my co-workers, and I like my daily responsibilities.



Looking to 2010...
Most Anticipated Thing: All the milestones Chris will be hitting in rapid-fire. Nicole getting potty-trained.

Most nervous About: losing touch with my friends, especially my kid-less friends, as family becomes more and more important and time-consuming in my own life.

Goals: to become a very good cake decorator. To make our house landscaping something envy-worthy. To get back to my pre-baby weight and just maybe put effort (working out) into doing it.

Resolution: To take all of my vacation days and put them to good use. Good use = taking the kids/family to places they haven't been to do things they haven't done (craft class for Nicole, music/play class for Chris, Michigan for the family, etc.)

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I do believe you mentioned bellydancing with me before Chris....now would be the perfect time to come to the class and check it out!! It is GREAT exercise and TONS of fun!!

I like what you had to say about Jim. He does have nice arms, but everything else makes him spectacular!

I hope you do not lose touch with me and your other kidless friends as well. :)

David Polley said...

Karen,

We would have loved to have been with you fine folks on New Years Eve had we known you were not doing anything. I must admit I was really suprised when I called Jim at midnight to wish your family a Happy New Year, only to find you were at home. We had originally made tenative plans to go to Jags for New Years, but could not find anyone to go with. They had a wonderful party out there playing dance music all night for a very reasonable price.

I just would have never guessed you had not planned anything or were not invited some where... You guys are "Party Central" in my book. Who Knew?

Sooooo.... I am asking you and Jim to join Carole and I at Jags to celebrate 2011. We will have great seats, and a really good time. Offically, We asked here first...

Your party animals....

David and Carole

Viki said...

Just some thoughts on the main disappointment (paycut), keeping in mind that this comes from someone who has worked in a non-profit, or a non-profit type of, environment for her virtually all of her career:

a) you have a full-time job (someting only about 80% of us has these days)
b) that I imagine still pays well, at least well enough for you to be able to afford your life and save for short & long term events & things (take that % down considerably)
c) and that you like (which recently read only about 40% of us who have jobs at all can claim)

Again, I'm coming from a non-profit mentality. I also see people who, from my perspective, are working considerably harder than I am but still making a lot less. Am I disappointed that I don't make more? Yes. Would I give up a job in which I am happy in order to make a lot more money? No...that would probably make me dread getting up every day.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

LisaMarie said...

I was pretty surprised to hear you didn't have NYE plans!

I think your goals are good...and as much as it sucks it sucks to work out, if you find a buddy to do it with, it's not awful. I'm struggling to find someone that is consistent to go with me, but the times when I do, the 30 minutes flies by!

And it sounds like the vacation resolution aligns with on of my goals....hmmmm...maybe we should plan a family vacation togetheR!

Jam said...

Good Re-Cap for 2009. I miss you guys - I know as we get wrapped up in family it gets harder to give that time up to do other things. If it makes you feel better, we chose to make the holidays this year very low key, we just weren't up for anything else. In fact, we just had Christmas with my parents a week ago - illness and weather prevented it from happening sooner.

I am so glad you like your new roll. It makes it a bit easier to leave the kiddos when you like what you do, and who you do it with. I am learning this more and more everyday. :)

Let me know if you want ideas for visiting MI - it is one of my favorite places. The lakes, the dunes, the locks, Macinac (pronounced Macinaw)Island, the lighthouses - there is all kind of good stuff to see and do!

Hugs to you all!

Jam

Sarah said...

I agree with all of Viki's points, but like her I have worked in the non-profit sector for most of my "professional" life, so that perspective is a bit different.

I also agree with Lisa about having a workout buddy. Or just a goal to work towards. I know it's a lot easier for me to get to the gym now that I'm training for the triathlon and not just doing an arbitrary workout. You can do it!

Ms. Sarah said...

Random place to put this info, but I set my blog to private, so if there's anyone who wants to read it send me your email address to sef610@gmail.com