Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Around the house

This weekend was CRAZY busy. Bright and early my dad and I headed over to Michaels for our first class of cake decorating. We both got lessons for Christmas. We learned how to make buttercream icing and how to properly ice a cake. On saturday we start dots, shells and writing.


Jim's family came down from Spencerville for Christmas on Saturday afternoon which meant that I spent hours cooking and entertaining. All my food finished at the same time which, in my opinion, is 1/2 the battle of good cooking. We had chicken & dumplings and beef strogonoff as the main dishes - both of which I think turned out pretty good.

All 11 of them spent the night in order that they could join us for Chris's Baptism on Sunday morning. Unfortunately Nicole ran a fever the night before and started puking right after she got up. She stayed at home while we all headed to Church.

Chris did great- very cooperative and happy. Mom's Christening outfit fit him really nicely and we got lots of compliments from folks. Here he is with Jim and I and his Godparents, Lindsay and Mike:



On Sunday Jenna asked me to be in her wedding party - I was honored and said yes!

Chris's wheezing was pretty bad all weekend so I took him to the doctor on Monday. He has acute bronchialitis but since he didn't respond to the breathing treatment he's just got to tough it out. He did get a prescription to fight the double ear infection.

Believe it or not other than the wheezing he has been acting so normal I might not have gotten him an appointment at all. While at the doctor he clapped for her which impressed the doctor - "he's an early clapper" she mentioned. "How early?" I asked. "Well, most kids clap for the first time around 9-10 months". Go Chris!

Here's my sick kid on Monday night:


Nicole's been eating a lot less since the bug got her on Sunday. She's back to her normal personality though and the diarrhea is subsiding....

A fun side note... Jim and I use coupons. Jim wanted to know how much we were saving so all of 2009 he kept a running excel chart of our grocery spending and coupon usage. We didn't count sale prices as savings because everyone gets those prices.

  • Not counting the prescription incentives we saved $551.90 by using coupons which constituted 11.9% of our total grocery bill.
  • If you do count our prescription dollars (that we get by filling or refilling at a particular pharmacy) we saved $897.16 or 19.4% of our total grocery bill.

KICK ASS! so worth the effort!

5 comments:

Katharine said...

cake decorating sounds like a fun class. do you get to eat your mistakes? :D

Finlands finest said...

I cannot believe how much you saved using coupons. This reinforces to me to use coupons!

If you didn't tell me Chris was sick, I would never had known it...

Anonymous said...

Well, can you go ahead and name the particular super-money-saving pharmacy?? Maybe it's the same as my super-money-saving employer, er, pharmacy...

miss y'all.

c & k in scottsdale

Laura said...

I LOVE that Jim kept a spreadsheet of your coupon usage! I would have tried for a few weeks then forgot about it. It's pretty cool to see your savings add up like that!

Viki said...

I started keeping track of our coupon usage, and I saved close to $700 between August of 2008 & August of 2009. I've made a habit of keeping track of it monthly, and then at the end of each month transferring the amount we save to the vacation savings account. :-)

I like how Chris is sitting up and kicking, but not moving otherwise. Logan is doing the same sort of thing, where he can sit up and moves his legs but can't get anywhere. It's cute.