Friday, January 15, 2010

Getting Dressed

This past season I spent a lot of time purging my closet. I got rid of "clubbing" tops - the sexy ones I haven't worn in years, pants that were too big and too small, shoes that never fit quite right to be considered comfortable but looked perfect with 1-2 outfits.


I don't miss any of it.


This morning an article on Yahoo! News caught my eye about the new things for 2010 that I "should" have in my closet. Here's one trend that I stopped at:



I get it. the socks (especially the pink ones) are kinda cute and certainly trendy. SJP wore things like this on SATC all the time. I don't think that I could ever pull this off though.

First off, where would I wear an outfit like this to? Second my heels aren't meant to be worn with foot-covernings as thick as socks and therefore I think they'd fit pretty tight. Third, I live in Ohio and think 90% of the population would look at me like I got dressed in the dark.

I won't even bother commenting on the whole "someone my age shouldn't wear...". I will say that while I'm always a fan of shorts, especially the frequently trendy tailored ones, my legs do not look like the models' above so the style on me wouldn't have quite the same effect as it does for 6 foot beanpole them.

Sticking to a closet full of staples is boring but reliable....

10 comments:

Jamie said...

I would have stopped at the enclosed trend too. I can't help but wonder what the context of the photos was, is that supposed to be a) weekend attire, b) going out attire, or is that c) considered business appropriate? Really, I am not sure where those looks would really fit.

I am also with you on the bean pole legs. Really, the models look wonderful, but I am not willing to put my legs up to theirs and compare them.

Speaking of closet purge - wanna come do mine???

Hugs!

Jam

Finlands finest said...

I have thought the same thing about the tailored shorts style. I do not know where to wear it nor do I think it is a style for everyone. I, like you, will stick to what I know looks good and will fit the occasion. I will say I have been trying in the last year to be more trendy and buy at least one seasonal trendy item. :) The shorts and knee socks will not be it this time. ;)

David Polley said...

Very Ugly....

Looks like something Carrie Bradshaw would where on "Sex and the City"

I am not impressed.....

Martha said...

The posted fashions are very Catholic School Girl. Or, at least, Catholic grade school girl, when we were allowed to wear shorts a couple months out of the year, but still had to wear the knee highs.
I guess we will apparently never go out of fashion. ;)

Martha said...

oh yea, that look does appeal to me, though I wouldn't wear it. For one, I can't/don't wear heels anymore. Two, I don't really wear shorts unless I'm working out.
However, I do like similar trend of a few years ago with tall boots where boot socks were a little longer than the boots.

Laura said...

I think it looks cute in the pics, but not sure about the average person pulling it off. Guess I don't have to worry since I never, ever wear high heels anyways.

Jenna said...

I've got the same legs... In fact, I try to avoid shorts if possible and go for skirts... And those slutty tops would have been a great addition to a bachelorette party!!!

Sarah said...

This is one of those looks that I can't decide if it's completely ugly or kinda cute. This is a pretty typical response to most "trends" for me. Guess I'm pretty boring. Plus, I could never pull it off, haha!

Mamma Sarah said...

You know its funny... first thought in my head was the pink socks were cute and the shoes too, but not with the shorts. You couldn't even wear something like that to work. Now with a black shirt... that might be different. I actually have a pair of socks (very thin) that are like the pink ones in gray, black and brown. I wear them with my heals and longer skirts when I don't feel like wearing nylons (which I hate anyway).

Totally agree that my legs don't look like that and never have... thanks to good a German background.

LisaMarie said...

I wouldn't be caught dead in either of these outfits. I haven't worn shorts in public in years until this past summer when I finally faved and bought some Bermudas.

I love a good knee sock but not with a pair of shorts....