Friday, June 26, 2009

Baby Duty

Mothering a newborn is just as I remember so far – looking at your new baby brings an immediate and unstoppable smile to your face and the total bliss you feel when he nestles into your shoulder is so addictive.

So far Chris is a predicable baby. He sleeps a lot during the day and then at 10:00pm he’s awake and wants to eat, eat and then eat more. The last three nights (in the hospital and then here at home) he’s been hungry but I’ve been too tired to stay awake the entire time he’s eating. When I do wake up and try to move him to the bassinet he wakes up and is looking for more to eat. It’s amazing how much energy I seem to have at 3:00 to talk/sing to him and then feed him one last time before we’re both too tired to keep up the charade any longer. Averaging a little more than 4 hours of sleep/night so far.

When I woke up for good at 8:30 today here’s what I found…

June 26, 2009


Though he’s easy during the day, because he’s sleeping so much, and Nicole’s not here (she’s at daycare) having Jim around to help is very nice. Today I’ve boiled the parts for and already used my electronic pump, finished painting his dinosaur characters for his window treatments, and made good progress in my addictive Twilight series book. Still need to work on the bumpers (I intend on finishing them this weekend) and paint the letters of his name for the wall.

I reminded the sitter that Nicole will be home with me from now on. She’s taking sisterhood slowly. She still calls Chris “Baby Michael” half of the time (where did that come from?!)

Nicole holding Chris for the first time!

but she’s always very gentle and doesn’t seem jealous from what I’ve seen. I think it helps that the visitors have been consistent with their attention to her and often come bearing gifts for her when they come which gets her all excited. I’m both intrigued and a little nervous about handling her strong need for attention and activity and balancing that with Chris’s needs and developing schedule. I think I’ll need all 7 weeks of my maternity leave to accomplish this successfully.

Physically I feel better today then any day yet. I did fill the Vicotin and Motrin prescriptions and have taken a pill of each for pain since I’ve been home. Intense cramping has turned to a mild painful annoyance since Tuesday and my stitches (I got many due to tearing) really only bother me when I get up and down too frequently. Other than being painfully engorged (hence the pumping already) I’m starting to feel like my normal self already.

Side note – the deck’s in progress – we have concrete supports in and the lumber for the frame was dropped off about an hour and a half ago. Still on track for a July 11 completion.

6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I'm sure you will find a way to be a mom to both a toddler and a newborn. Many moms have done it before, so there is probably plenty of advice out there if you need it.

Chris is soooooo cute! I'm glad that people are paying attention/bringing things for Nic too. I think it is important for her to not feel left out.

Finlands finest said...

It cracks me up when Nic calls Chris, baby michael!

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad to hear all is going well. Hopefully a routine will quickly come about for everyone. Please don't hesitate to call if you need anything. :-)

Martha said...

"Baby Michael". that's cute. Perhaps SHE's right and you and Jim and the birth certificate are wrong?? :) Does she know any other babies named Michael? Doesn't she have an Uncle Mike? Perhaps she really likes the name.... Either way, too cute!
Glad all is going well!

Viki said...

I also think the baby Michael thing is really funny - does she watch TV at daycare (or is it on in the background?), and if so, is there a show that's got a baby Michael?

Good luck getting is schedule shifted - so he's more awake during the day and not so much at night...

Sarah said...

LOVE IT! I think the "baby Michael" thing is hilarious, and agree with Martha, maybe Nic is right and he is really a Michael.

I also must say, in that crib picture he looks so much like Nic as a baby!