Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Life Reflections

Have no fear
These are no where near
The best years of your life.


These words are in a song that I like quite a bit, Letter to Me by Brad Paisley. It’s about a guy who writes a letter to his 17-year-old self. I think what always stands out to me is that above all, I hope this is true for me and I’ve actually given the concept real thought.

I’ve had lots of good memories in my short 29 years and I’ve had some particularly good years as a whole (1996-97 and 1999-2000 stand out for sure, Nicole’s whole life is a miracle to experience). However, I like to think that as good as those times were that something even better is up ahead.

I think it’s this optimism that leads me to repeat the advice of “if you think s/he was great and it didn’t work out, imagine what the real “one” will be like” when friends of mine break up. I truly mean it too.

Jim and I sometimes get into goofy conversations about what we would and wouldn't want to know. He’s adamant that he wouldn't want to know how or when he’s going to die; that the peace of knowing and the inspiration to live your life fully (which obviously you should be doing anyway) wouldn't outweigh the weight of the looming end. I have to agree.

Really, that leads right into what I previously said. I wouldn’t want to know that the best has already past. Likewise, I wouldn’t want to know that the real best year of my life is, say 32. As excited as I’d be, and for all the documenting I’d make sure to do of those 365 days, what am I supposed to do on Jan 1, 2013??

I aim to make each year the best and I’ll evaluate my success in hindsight. I wish a 50 year old me would send me a letter that just happens to reveal itself in my underwear drawer some day.

6 comments:

Martha said...

Are you going to share what was so particularly wonderful about the years 1996-97 and 1999-2000?
:)

I would NOT want to know when or how I die. I want to live my life focusing on living, not focusing on dying. Besides, that's just not possible. If you knew that on Nov 18, 2019 you are going to be hit by a truck, wouldn't you just hole up in a bomb shelter the day before, day of, and day after (gotta cover all time zones, just to be safe, you know. Plus, no traveling ON that day, or you might get hit by a truck)?!??

Finlands finest said...

I'm always optimistic that the best is yet to come. Unfortunately for me, I tend to err on the too optimistic for reality side. :)

Jenna said...

You know, Karen, this is really insightful.

I wonder how my life will pan out. If I was happiest in 1999 (for example) or if the best is yet to come.

I can imagine that the day I have children, the day I get married are both going to be really important DAYS and life changing. However, I wonder if my day-to-day actions are actually contributing and/or hindering the life I want to have had at 50.

So I ponder, what IS IT that I really aspire to be? What is it that I long for? What do I want to have said, done and experienced to say I've led a meaningful and inspiring life worthy of note? Who's the judge that will determine whether I've accomplished such? Will I know that moment? Will I look back and wished I'd handled things differently?

Final thought: I can't change the past. I can only look forward and leap for the best. But, attempting to change my life every day to one I hope to someday be, is the only way I can avoid regret.

Finlands finest said...

Jenna--That was as insightful as what Karen wrote!

Martha said...

I know that the year 2008 will never be in the running for the best year of my life.
After that, who knows. Jenna has some good points, especially in noting certain DAYS, but to me the days don't make the year (unless there are enough exceptional days with minimal bad days occuring within the same year.)

I think the next few years are always the best. You take what you learned from the past and put it to use. And you're still "young enough" (no matter when) to enjoy it. :) Even if you're turning 90 and you take away what you learned in your late 80's, relatively, you're still "young enough" to use it. Unless of course you fall down and break your hip. That's a really bad day. And at that age, that's likely to make for a bad year, too.

Finlands finest said...

LOL Martha is funny!