Friday, January 16, 2009

Who We Are

Jim was talking with his ex-fiancé the other day and the subject turned to her 4 kids. She commented that she’s a mom and that’s basically it (followed by her wishing she was "more"). This comment brought Jim and I to talk about what title we most identify with. We both agreed that husband/wife was the first one that came to mind and that we felt strongest about... but we had different reasons.

Jim: Husband is a title that started 4 years ago and will most likely (other than son) be the one that he keeps the longest, fingers crossed.

Karen: I love Jim. That’s why I married him. I love him more than any of my friends or any of my family. There is no one else I’d rather be with than him so I relate most to being his wife than anything else.

Father/Mother came in second, as you can imagine, and we agreed “friend” came in third. Though I'm extremely close with my parents I tend to think of them as friends versus a parent (authority figure) now that I'm an adult.

It was no surprise that our job titles weren’t on the top of the list. They’d actually come behind “athlete”, “reader”, & “teacher” for us.

I was really pleased that unprompted our lists matched – shows that our priorities in life are lined up. I believe, and frequently hear from “experts”, that the key to happy parenting is to maintain a happy marriage. Since that’s clearly our main concern I think we’ll do all right in life.

5 comments:

Finlands finest said...

This made me happy to read! Good for both of you for being on the same track. :)

Martha said...

I find it interesting that your job doesn't come near the list. I'm quite happy that my job is high on the list. then again, my hobbies and my career are pretty tightly linked. :) I'm lucky in that.

LisaMarie said...

I would put mine as wife, mother, teacher. I'm not sure how Kendall would put his, I'd assume the same order as mine....I'll have to ask him when I'm not mad at him. Because today I would have assumed he put it doctor, father, husband...which is why I'm mad at him!

Mamma Sarah said...

:-D

Ms. Sarah said...

Good to hear that you and Jim are on the same page with this, though I will say I'm not surprised. I definitely need to think about this one, as I'm not sure what my response would be.