Monday, January 07, 2008

Weekend Highlights (& some random thoughts)

  • I know this is dumb, but when I read the list of the top 100 names of 2007 I let out a “ohhhhhh” of disappointment when I read that the name Nicole is out of the list. Ironically one of the reasons I like the name is that it’s “common” in that everyone knows of it but I haven’t met a Nicole since high school so it’s not overused.
  • Nicole was FANTASTIC for her six month pictures at JC Penney on Saturday. She smiled, she coo’ed, she ate the rubber duck they gave her for her staged “tub” shots. They’re so good that I'm frustrated that I can’t get them immediately and have to wait until 1/18/08. I don’t even have a proof to show you! : (
  • Just when I was disappointed that Jim didn’t get me any of “my” yogurt (pina colada, orangesicle, berry…) I find the pint of Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip he bought especially for me. Then he tops it off with a case of A&W. He’s so great.
  • We attended a 90th birthday party for my great uncle Ed. He was playing competitive tennis within the decade. If I was in his kind of shape (using a cane but still getting around) I'm pretty sure I’d want to live until I'm 90 too. I know I wouldn’t feel the same though if Jim died before me and I wasn’t in a new relationship or in a kick-ass nursing home.
  • Speaking of nursing homes, when I think of my time in one I picture myself around age 75 and living down the hall from Lisa, Viki, Sarah, Sarah, etc. Basically the same as if we were still 19 years old living in a dorm but now we’re great-grandparents and fabulously wealthy, obviously still smokin’ hot, and very life-experienced. I still expect we’d sit around in the common areas and gossip about Gloria’s bad hair or whether or not Jeff can still get it up. Please note that in this fantasy the nursing home is in Cincinnati.
  • I went with mom to my very first starving artist art show in NKY on Sunday. Mom was very blasé about what to expect. She kept mentioning paintings about fruit so I was a bit nervous I was wasting my time. Turns out that there were a lot of pictures I really liked, only a few with fruit (sporting the required translucent grapes in a bowl of course), and I bought 3 paintings. In hindsight there was one more I should have picked up but oh well. I clearly determined that while my mother is a very strong influencer in my life and her opinion is very highly regarded, she and I do not have the same taste in art at all. I like bright colors and busy designs/scenes. She likes muted colors and simple layouts. What she was drawn to I’d smirk at and what I liked she raised her eyebrows at. I concluded that my taste in art mirrors how I [try to] live my life: bold and busy.

8 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

I totally laughed out loud (at the office) at the nursing home comment.

That's funny you went to the artist event. It was on our agenda to actually go to that, but didn't because of not feeling well. Can't wait to see the art you picked up. :-)

TreyJ said...

I saw a commercial for a starving artist show this past weekend and thought it might be fun to go to one sometime, but then put it in the back of my head. Interesting that you got the same bug this weekend.

Martha said...

I have no idea what my taste in art is (although if it's equestrian themed the odds are increased that I'll like it). I also don't know how I strive to live my life, really - whatever I want???

I think it is sl. odd that you are disappointed Nicole dropped off the popular list of names. I would have though people named their children for reasons other than a popularity contest. (take note that this name comment came from someone with the name "Martha" which is just one step up from "Bertha". My views on naming are probably very different from the Mikes and Jennys and Lisas and Jessicas, etc)

Martha said...

PS - Is the anonymous commenter still playing its games?

LisaMarie said...

I'm interested to see the art you chose. I wonder if we'd like the same things, because I'd say my life feels bold and busy too. But I don't know if I choose art that way.....

And I too imagine us all in a nursing home together. But I don't know that I imagine myself as smokin hot. HAHAHA.

Katrin said...

Sounds like you are dreaming of a life as "Golden Girls", except that its not in Florida.
I don't think that I could label my taste in art, maybe "eclectic". There is not one kind but if "something" appeals to me, I will like it. Doesn't make sense, I know.

Sarah said...

I can't wait to be in a nursing home with you crazy girls! And I love Katrin's comment about the "Golden Girls"..... remember when we use to compare ourselves to them? Hahaha.

Megs said...

My friends and I joke about the same thing that you did with the nursing home... but it still hasn't switched off of 'when we get married and have kids, we'll live across the street from each other, sipping coffee on the front porch, folding our laundry and watching our kids beat the shit out of each other' -- maybe in a few years we'll have to move it over to the nursing home scenario. lol

And I can totally see why you and your mom have different taste in art. Just looking at her house, compared to the colors and designs I was helping you pick out for yours.... yeeeeeeeah....