Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Way behind in blogging...

  • I got a raise at XU – actually it was a good one of 25%. I'm really happy about it as I didn’t ask for it, the extra cash just showed up on my new contract for the spring. I felt the need to thank someone for the recognition but Jim said that wasn’t necessary and wasn’t even sure if it came from the dean or just the general HR office…. Haven’t seen the dean anyway to thank him in person.
  • Class started last night. I have 32 students and 1 on the wait-list. I only have one repeat from past semesters so I have a LOT of new names to learn very very quickly. A few folks stayed after class let out to chit chat which was nice to see there are going to be some friendly people. Greg also had class last night (and Monday) as he’s started his MBA. He’ll be done in 2010 as he has a business undergrad and got waived out of the first third of the program.
  • Saturday we threw a surprise party for my mom with 47 people in attendance. She was truly surprised which was exciting. There were a few little mis-haps: the meat lasagna didn’t cook fast enough to be done with the rest of the food, the coffee maker blew up, and the ice cream somehow melted in the freezer. All in all the party was great with the last people leaving around midnight. I got a lot of positive (obligatory?) feedback on the house, especially the pantry size, Nicole’s room and the kitchen curtains. Hopefully things will get even more “finished” for the house warming.
  • We have another walk-through on the “old” house this afternoon which makes the 8th visitor since the new year. We found out that there is a furnace issue with some part that I'm unsure of. That may get expensive to replace but what can you do?
  • I won a cruise from my company and we’re going to the Eastern Caribbean the first week of July. The whole company and spouses are invited to go with the only expense being extras like alcohol and excursions. CAN’T WAIT. I am sad that we’ll miss my parents July 4th party for the first time in about 10 years, but I think the reason is worth it!
  • Nicole tried carrots for the first time two nights ago and at first was a fan but that enthusiasm waned to pursed lips after about 5 bites. Eating isn’t really her thing and she practically refuses to look at you if you try too hard. Further, if she sees a bottle game over. I got an ice cube’s worth in her on Monday and she pooped 7 times on Tuesday.
  • Trying to be open-minded I attempted Laura’s feeding method of letting Nicole feed herself. I put the carrots on the tray and she proceeded to want to play with the highchair restraints instead of her food. Her reaching for the straps caused her sleeves to go through the food. She never did put any remotely near her mouth. She picked some up and then got distracted and dropped a huge glob on her bib which then rolled down to her pants and the chair cushion. Not really a success. Mirroring Ella’s gnawing on a carrot stick I gave Nic a slice of green pepper to see what she’d do with it. It did go in her mouth but then she crunched up her eyes, stuck out her tongue, and dropped it. Ah well. Tonight she’ll get carrots again (3 straight days) for one of her two “solid” meals (rice each morning) and tomorrow we’ll try avocado.
  • When I came in to wake Nicole up this morning she was 1) already awake and 2) on her tummy. Not sure if she rolled while asleep or awake, but even still it was cute. She got her arm tangled up in her sleeve in such a way that her arm probably fell asleep if she was in that position for a while, but she didn't seem phased so it couldn't have been that way too long.

6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

A raise and a cruise?!?!? You are a lucky girl!

Maybe if you gave Nic pears or apples (you know something that tasted good) she'd be interested in eating. :)

Mamma Sarah said...

Try peas... :-) Glad to hear that solid food is going well. Alex was the same way with the bottle. We always gave him food first (hiding the bottle behind us worked well) and then dessert was the bottle.

Congrats on the raise and cruise. That's very exciting stuff.

Martha said...

hahaha, I was thinking similarly to Jen. Well, I lke those other foods...but they're not traditionally "yummy" foods.

Keep trying! I've heard it takes 7 times of eating something to "learn" to like it...and playing with it doesn't count as eating it.
I want a 25% raise. And free cruise. Honestly, I'll take either! :)

TreyJ said...

Sounds like things are going your way! I want to win a cruise, even if it's just on Lake Michigan for an afternoon.

The big mystery, though, is how you get 7 poops from one ice cube-sized meal.

Viki said...

Oh, what horror - a blown-up coffee maker?!?! Just kidding - let me know if you need help finding a new one. :-)

Hooray for cruise and a raise. I'm pretty close to getting my Aveda spa weekend in Vermont with rewards points, which I'm very much looking forward to.

Good poopin' Nic.

Katrin said...

Wow a cruise!!! If I won one, I'd kick my ass, as I get very seasick. (I nearly fainted when taking a ferry from Greece to Turkey in the calm Mediterranean Sea!). So I would probably spend a fortune on motion sickness medicine and then sleep through it. :(

Great for the raise!

It's really funny to think of how Nicole is "eating". :) :)