Monday, November 05, 2007

Weekend of 11-2-07

Friday night was the third night in a row that Nic wanted to go to bed around 8:15 which I am now happy to indulge. I'm appreciating that her need for sleep trumps my keeping her up for the sake of seeing her. Further, it allowed me to go to bed at 8:45pm which I really really needed. When Jim came upstairs around 9:30 (probably to see where the heck I was) I woke up and remembered that I had to read the chapters I was to teach the next morning. “Do it tomorrow morning, you don’t want to re-wake your mind,” Jim advised. And so I did and consequently got up at 5:30am on a Saturday morning. What’s wrong with me!?!?

Teaching went well – the projects that the students gave were all around really really impressive. Some of the package designs they came up with were mistaken as REAL products by my mother-in-law when I brought them home they were that clever and well-done.

That afternoon Vickie, Nic-knack and I attended an estate auction up the street. There have been several times that I’ve consciously thought “I really like the location of our new house”- the first was when we ran late to Mom’s and I was thanking God that she now only lives 4 minutes away, the second was when I took the time to notice all the beautiful trees changing color and how lucky I am to pass the hundreds I do each day to and from home, and this weekend, that I had something cool and different to do and it was walking distance from my house (the neighbors are auctioneers and hold the events in their yard). Vickie and Doug apparently attended auctions all the time, but I didn’t and was interested in the process.

First, let me state that this stuff all looks like JUNK. Not knowing the first thing about antiquing, no thing stood out as a money-making opportunity (where you could resell a piece for 5X what you paid for it), and the literally dozens of blankets and throws they sold for $47 look to me as more of a hassle to get home than a “this could make a cool quilt if I cut them up” like the woman who bought them might have been thinking. Anyway, what was interesting was that they would take a big box and just start rapidly putting more and more into it and the auctioneer is working the audience for the price on the whole box. It’s not a place to pick what you want per se, but hope that what you want lands in that box for you to bid on. What do you do with all the other crap in the box (like the metal bedpan or the scratched Christmas ornaments) you didn’t want?? Vickie advised that the number one reason to attend these things is to resell the stuff at a flea market later- but who wants to give up a whole day buying and then another whole day selling?!

That evening we took Nicole to my mom’s and we went to a wedding- standard wedding fare. I did get literally burst on (as in the guy broke the lock off the door trying to get in) while pumping in the linen closet at the reception hall.

Sunday everyone left for Spencerville and Nic and I got treated to lunch with Sarah and Alex. That child is A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E. So much energy and he loved Nicole’s doll baby. He even gave me a kiss good-bye too! Oh, and Sarah was a cute pregnant lady though it’s too soon to visually tell she’s prego.

Bowling sucked – we lost 4/4 though I bowled well – 168, 139, 147 (I think)- all scores over my 122 average. Movin’ on up!

Back to the work-week. Blahhhhhhhhhhh….

7 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

It was wonderful to have you and Niki over to the house on Sunday. I can't believe that the time flew by like it did. I think I needed that time more than you know!! Thanks!

Sarah said...

I want girl time!!! I'm going to have to make that happen soon....

Katrin said...

I thought you worked in sales? So you do spend your days selling stuff...
Going to bed that early sound wonderful to me. :)

Finlands finest said...

I want girlie time with you Karen!!!

Martha said...

I had a salesman call me yesterday. He asked how the ingredients he sent me were doing. When I asked which ingredients he sent me (I have NO IDEA) he said he didn't know and didn't have the paperwork in front of him, but that they were raw materials for work I was doing. Umm. I order ingredient samples WEEKLY. I don't even know what his company sells to help me narrow it down.
How stupid was he! Makes himself look like an idiot. Not prepared.
I thought I'd share since you, too, are in sales.

Megs said...

Sounds like you had a pretty decent weekend... although, waking up at 5:30am on Saturday morning does NOT sound like fun. That's what time I usually go to bed on the weekends!

Anonymous said...

I am still not a happy camper about my performance last week or how it all kind of got pushed down our throats in a "nice" way. I am watching the schedule, and when that team comes around again, I believe we will re-define the use of the words "freindly competition" and actually suprise them. Looking forward to that.