Monday, November 12, 2007

Buster

Some good things happened this weekend including my parents-in-law treating us to Kabuto (hibachi grill) for our anniversary and Nicole being SO well behaved throughout the meal. You should have seen her eyes light up at the fireballs the chef was creating! Class on Saturday went well and I now have 18 midterms to grade.

What didn’t go so well was Buster, Greg’s pug of 6½ years. Buster is diabetic and is constantly “starved” as he’s on a strict diet to control his sugar levels. He’s gotten creative about getting food through his diabetic tenure so it wasn’t a complete surprise when my dad found an empty bag of gummy bears when he came in from mowing the lawn. Buster spent several hours getting sick and then having what we later found out were seizures. Greg, Mom and Dad stuck with him and tried to comfort him throughout, but it got to the point that he had to go to the emergency vet clinic.

His sugar levels were over 1000, which is astronomical for an 18lb. dog, and his fever was at 107 degrees. The hospital got his sugar down to 500 and his fever to normal but the medicine needed to stop the seizures put him into a diabetic coma. When he started dehydrating they administered some additional medicine to help and it was more than his body could take. Buster passed away around 3:00 on Sunday morning.

It’s been a very emotional end of the weekend. It’s especially hard as the whole ordeal started and finished in about 12 hours total so there was not a whole lot of time to mentally or emotionally prepare for what transpired. We (Greg, Dad, Mike, Jim and I (Mom was too upset to go)) buried Buster in Mike’s woods and put a very pretty stone to mark the spot.

Though I'm crying as I write this, Buster was an incredibly special, loving, and fun dog, we all recognize that life will go on and we get to hold strong to all the memories he made with us.

Please keep Greg and my mom especially in your thoughts as they were the primary care-givers to Buster and are taking this the hardest. Buster was more than a pet, he was family, and he’ll be greatly missed.

13 comments:

Megs said...

Again, I'm sorry to hear about Buster. It's never fun loosing a pet... especially one that was like an extension of yourself that you've had for so long!! I know it's so hard... beeen over 6 months for Furball and I still think about him everyday. It does get easier though. If you need anything, let me know! Love you!

Finlands finest said...

Thoughts are very much with your family!!!

I am such a bad friend because I totally forgot to wish you Happy Anniversary Friday!!

Anonymous said...

Karen, I am so sorry to hear about Buster. I know you loved him very much. As hard as I know what you are going through is painful at this time, please remember that he is at peace and no longer suffering any more too. Carole and I went through this with Bear, our Australian Sheppard, so our thoughts are with you. Please take care.

Karen said...

Didn't miss the anniversary, they were just early! It's tomorrow! :)

Viki said...

Very sorry to hear that Buster passed away - thoughts to you all, as well as to Piper, who must be devastated as well.

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

You have all my condolences and thoughts, and I will keep everyone in my thoughts for you.

Mamma Sarah said...

Hugs to you!!!

Unknown said...

Aww...I'm sorry about Buster. He loved whenever I would come over to your parents house. Your mom always ended up chasing him out of the room so we could get to work on whatever it was she was altering for me.

Tell your mom and Greg that they are in my prayers. When my family lost our dog, Mollie, back in August, it was hard on all of us. There are times, we will still slip up and call one of the puppies Mollie by accident.

Tom said...

Karen, so sorry to hear about Buster, dogs are like members of the family. My thoughts are with you and your family during this sad time.

Katrin said...

Poor Puppy! I am so sorry to hear that.

Megs said...

happy anniversary!

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Buster passing, losing a pet is devastating for those who loved him. Thoughts and prayers for your family.

Martha said...

I'm sorry to hear about Buster. that is quite sad.

Happy Anniversary.

(wow. I'm really sorry. I don't know how to transition to that. I don't think they belong in the same message or back to back in any form. But I want to say both).