Friday, November 30, 2007

Baby Activities

Nicole has been having a few developmental milestones lately to report. First, I've been encouraging her that if she wants to be picked up she needs to reach her arms out - it's going pretty well. Especially when I just stand there and look at her until she does it. I also say "up" each time I pick her up and look forward to "up" being an early word in her vocabulary. This might backfire on me i realize if she learns it and then is pleased when her commands get results she'll probably keep repeating it to death.

She also reaches for things in general and has a firm grasp that her hands are her own. She plays with toys and can grab items dangling above her, even if they're swaying.

We're also playing "indian" with her - bopping our hand on her mouth when she talks so she makes the "ba-ba-ba" sound. This amuses her as much as us and is an effective way to get her to stop whining/crying as the sound is so darn funny. She has not yet learned to say "ahhh" on command, even when i try to show her how by "ahh-ing" myself.

I'm not sure how, but she's selectively ticklish. When I change her I can tickle her rib cage and she'll giggle but other times she seems to care less... I think I'm hitting the same spot, but maybe not.

She's also big into Peek-A-Boo with this lightweight piece of material I have and playing airplane. She doesn't mind a little thrill when we "take off" or if we tilt her to one side like she's falling and quickly bring her back vertical- she smiles and at times outright laughs at the activity. Jim had her rolling the other night when we put up the tree.

She's wearing an adorable outfit today (flowery onesie, white pants & a knit pink sweater with embroidered roses) and like all days I dress her up pretty i hope for 2 things: 1) someone at daycare will comment on how cute she looks and 2) she doesn't poop through her clothes and wears them all day. I'll admit I'm quite possessive over picking out her outfits in the morning and wrinkle my nose when others do it, even if it's a combination I've put on her before. I'm getting to be a control freak!

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I think it is great that Nicole is learning things like to reach her arms out when she wants to be picked up. A firm grasp is good as well.

Laura said...

I'm with you on the tickling thing...on the changing table she laughs when I look at her or tickle anywhere...once we leave the changing table she is no longer ticklish! Maybe babies are only ticklish if they have a dirty diaper???

Sarah said...

You're so funny with Nicole's outfits! I can't believe she's growing up so fast!!

Megs said...

When do babies typically speak their first word? It seems like it's awfully early to even be thinking about that! But at the same time, Jaylin is just over a month old and I can't wait until she starts doing something new! She just wiggles... that's about it! haha

That's cute that she is learning so much though. Keep marking down dates! I was thoroughly disappointed when I didn't have my first of alot of things written down in my baby book!

Katrin said...

I love your baby updates, she sounds so cute! You could post a picture of her outfits once in a while and I am sure you'll at least her a lot of awwws and oooohs and cutes. And we wouldn't smell the poop part either.

LisaMarie said...

I'm so glad you're doing this kind of stuff, like the "up". My brother-in-law and sister-in-law never did this and my niece just shrieks when she wants something. She can't say up. She barely says mama and dada and dog. She's 18 months old!!!! I think I'll be like you, starting very early with this kind of stuff.

Mamma Sarah said...

I'm with Katrin... we need pics in these adorable outfits. :-) Plus airplane pics of the proud papa! :-) More pics, more pics, more pics. :-P

That's pretty great she is so giggly at all your mama antics. She'll get to talkin in no time then you'll be wishin she was just cooing again. :-D