Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Moving on Over

1 aspect of my new job that I don’t like (and there are several…) is that I have to move offices. My company is pretty great in that most everyone has an actual office – a space of our own with a door we can close. I actually have one of the biggest offices thanks to my tenure but even better than that it’s right in the center of the office. I get to see people coming and going and they often stop to chat which I enjoy. The office is large enough that I have a desk, filing cabinet, couch, 2 trees, and art that fits just right on the wall. I also have a wall-length window that’s probably 15 feet long.

See why I don’t want to leave?!

My boss says that I have to physically move to the other side of the building near the people I'm going to support/manage. This logistically makes a lot of sense, I know, but that’s on the other side of the building and will put me alone as they're out 70% of the time. Though I'm not complaining, I thought it a little strange that the guy who’s supposed to be my new boss moved out of the only office in that department and into a cube so I could have the office. Again, not complaining as I really did not want a cube, but wondering what kind of tone it sets over there….

I guess on the up-side, I do get to take all of my furniture, including the couch, to the new office. And it does have a window. I just don’t want to be out of the mix and I LOVE my current space. I'm trying to delay as long as possible but there’s pressure to move me TODAY. Boooooo!

8 comments:

Jenna said...

Tread lightly... I walked into my position where people thought I got a lot of things I physically didn't deserve. I also got an office with a long window and a view of downtown, some furniture, and one plant given to me on day one... But, a lot of people thought I didn't derserve it, and that set MY tone... (But, there are a lot of other things that I failed to mention that also contributed...)

Finlands finest said...

I know this was one thing you didn't want to do. Maybe you will appreciate the quiet over on the other side???

If not--I'll come visit you one day!

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Boooooo! Agreed!

Martha said...

I'm most perplexed on why you would be kicking your boss into a cubicle when it sounds like there are so few cubicles...where is the logic there?
I'm intrigued to learn the people structure there - did you create another middle manager position?
Good luck with your move!! I'm in a cubicle and have always been in a cubicle.

Martha said...

oh, when I say you're "kicking your boss out" of his office, I don't mean you doing that literally. Why did the company arrange for that?

Mamma Sarah said...

Boooo... your office was a great view of the highway and let me know when it was time to go. :-) On the flip side maybe you'll have peace and quiet to concentrate in or just blast your music louder! :-D

Anonymous said...

Maybe everyone else can move to the other side of the office and the people that you will be working with can move by you??? I'm not sure if that would work though :-)

Katharine said...

a couch?!? are you a shrink?? :) how'd the move go?