Monday, June 28, 2010

Life at our house

Hello, world! Things here are continuing to move and change. Some family updates:

Chris
  • Chris turned 1 year old on Wednesday of last week. His party (of which I previously posted pictures) was great and served as the real celebration of the milestone. Amazing how the stereotypes are true about second children - for Nic's first birthday I took the day off work, we visited the zoo, and had a special day of it all. Chris went to daycare like normal, had an everyday dinner, and ate the few remaining bites of owl cake before bed. I did buy him a Birthday Boy t-shirt to wear.
  • Though he hit the walking milestone by his birthday he's yet to consistently say a real word. Lisa got to hear him say "again" and I've heard him make sounds that sort of resemble the word I just said (ie "bug" while at the zoo). Doctor seemed totally unconcerned at his well-baby check-up so I guess I am too.
  • I do quiz Chris on people's names quite a bit - "where's Daddy?", "where's Nicky?" I'll ask and then wait to see if he hones in on the right person. He normally does which tells me he knows more than he's letting on to verbally.

Nicole

  • The future her is dying that I'd post this at all but I'll claim it's not so bad because I didn't actually post a video (yet).... When Nicole wants to get out of something, like eating part of her dinner she doesn't like, she'll claim she has to go to the bathroom. Since she's still within 6 mo of being potty-trained I'm always hesitant to deny taking her even if I think she's faking just in case. So, off we go to the bathroom. There she sits on the potty and clenches her eyes, grunts and groans, and shakes her head with "the energy" of pooping. Really she's doing nothing but acting as validated both by the empty potty and the giggles that escape after her performance. Yes, she still has to eat the corn when she gets back to the dinner table.
  • Nicole LOVES to wear dresses and I love to put her in them. I actually have to make a point of only showing her two shorts options or she'd wear a dress every day.

Jim

  • Jim's still plowing away at our wall. It looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. He's done so so well. I'm not just saying that because he reads this, it really does look fantastic. He's made such good progress that by this coming weekend's end it'll probably be fair to say he's on "the home stretch".
  • His ball team is doing okay this year. They're in the middle but hopefully will be picking up the pace in the next week.

Me

  • What the heck is up with this humidity?! It's INSANE. My hair looks crappy on a regular basis.
  • I need more shoes. Like a nice pair of flip-flops and a new pair of casual heeled black sandals. I've walked off the sole on the heels of my main pair.
  • I'm going to see Eclipse with my co-workers on Wednesday at midnight! So excited!
  • NOT a fan of the new Color Splash: Miami format/aura.

6 comments:

Martha said...

Nicole's funny - eating that corn will help her with her poops (I know, I know, they're imaginary).

Speaking of poops. Once on a long carride my nephew said he had the sneaky poops and we had to stop. We really really had to stop (he said). So we did, and I got the lovely job of taking him to the bathroom...where he pretty much just played for a while until I got impatient and we left....he never did have an issue.
I am still convinced that he just wanted to get out of something (his carseat to stretch his legs or something) much like Nicole wanted to get out of eating her dinner....

Finlands finest said...

I cannot imagine your hair EVER looking bad!

I would love to witness Nic's acting skills on the toilet. That sounds too funny!!

Chris will talk when he is ready. Being your son, you maybe happy he is waiting... ;) (son of a person who talks for a living)

Viki said...

My hair has sucked for the past month or so, too, so don't feel bad.

If you want a basis for comparison as far as Chris' talking is concerned, Logan has yet to say a real word either.

And as far a Nic goes, I don't know what the parenting manuals say, but my instinct tells me that you should tell her that you know she's lying and that if she does it again then the next time you won't help her with the potty. I bet it would take about 2 minutes of uncomfortably sitting in her messed up diaper and she'd never do it again. Is that cruel?

David P. said...

Karen,
Wait until Nicole is 14 and all of the "Loser" seniors from her class, and even those from different schools mind you, ask her to Homecoming and Prom. Better have the shotgun ready...cause they are gonna keep calling, driving up, knocking, texting, twittering, writing her notes and putting them in her locker, and e-mailing her. She is going to learn real early how to play the game, and then "it" really starts to hit the fan. Those boys had better learn real soon, that they are NOT going to get past Mom and Dad.
Just think! Only 12 years to go....and it goes real fast!

LisaMarie said...

I need to try that bathroom trick when I don't want to eat something....

And boys are different, as you're learning. :) I have SUCH a hard time not comparing Max to girls. But if you look at my blog entry from yesterday, while he wasn't talking much at one (if at all) he is now talking like a madman. Actually in the last week he's started repeating just about anything I ask him to. Guess I better stop using the word "fu*k" so much...HA!

Martha said...

I used to just excuse myself to the bathroom and then spit the food out. :) I guess that only works when you're old enough to go to the bathroom alone. My parents caught on eventually, though.