Monday, March 29, 2010

Weekend of 3/26/10

This weekend we took it easy with the kids as a precaution with their tubes. We didn't travel to Troy (as I really wanted to) or go to Spencerville for Jim's family Easter (first holiday we've ever missed). We didn't do an Easter Egg Hunt for the first time - too cold and wet and didn't want to take ill kids out in it.

We did do some things though:

1) tried the Hot and Ready $5 large pizza from our local Little Ceaser's. It was "okay". Certainly a good value at $5 but we'd pay more for better quality pizza if we had the time to wait for it.

2) I stopped nursing Chris for a variety of reasons: a) he's an avid biter. So bad, in fact, that when Nicole was playing pretend with her dolls she scolded her angel for biting; b) he was taking an 8oz bottle consistently and in March moved to drinking anywhere between 1-8oz per meal. While this change probably marked an end to a growth spurt this fluctuation was physically a difficult for my production to keep up with; c) he gets very distracted now. Even if I take him to a quiet place that's just us he would break away every few seconds to look around. Oftentimes teeth were involved in breaking off.

I feel guilty though.... Nicole got another month (10 months) compared to him.... part of me thinks I should tough it out with the biting.... Chris hasn't tried to nurse since we stopped on Friday so I'm taking it that he's fine with it. I'm only in a little discomfort as my body's adjusting. I'm reminding myself I achieved my 6 month goal and then some. Jim's supportive either way and listened patiently while I lamented a bit last night.

3) I attended a bridal shower for my second cousin and a baby shower for my neighbor. I determined that fondant icing is not good to eat but is pretty to look at.

4) patio furniture shopping is in full swing. So far I've ruled out Furniture Fair, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and Sam's. Costco hasn't gotten their full inventory in yet so I'll need to go back. Target, Lowes, Watson's, Menards, Garden Ridge, and the Frontgate outlet are next on the "to shop" list. If I can find the time I'd like to go to Pottery Barn and Patio & Hearth too.

5) we bought the honey-glazed ham for Easter!

4 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I think it was probably good that you took it easy so the kids could heal and get better. :)

I'm sure Chris is fine. :)

I still need patio furniture too. I'm undecided on what I want as well.

Katharine said...

I'm betting martha will comment on the fondant portion. Yes, I am commenting to say that I think Martha will comment :)

Martha said...

HAHAHAHA, Kathy!
I had a comment all written out, and then thought I was too fondant-specific and not enough comments about the rest of your life, that I erased it....
Fondant rarely taste good. There are some recipes in existence that taste good, but honestly, any time you see fondant, it's safe to assume it won't be yummy.
It is very good at preserving a moist cake, and for smooth and colorful decorating. I suggest next time you just pull the fondant off and enjoy the cake with the layer of buttercream. Won't look as pretty, but it'll sure be yummier!
Buttercream, also, can be used to decorate every bit as good (perfectly smooth, colorful, detail, sharp lines, etc) as fondant, in the right hands (relatively few decorators seem to have this talent, but it's out there!).
You can enjoy the white chocolate buttercream frosting on Alvin and my wedding cake. :D

Rest of life:
If Chris isn't disturbed about not nursing, he's getting his nutrients elsewhere, and you're not phased, I wouldn't worry about it or what others think! (coming from a non-mom, of course)

I'm with you - Ok pizza isn't worth $5. You can get great pizza for $8-$12, even better for $16ish, and you can probably make it yourself for under $10.

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad the kids are healing. Probably better they chilled this weekend.

Mmmm ham!