Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend of 9/27/08

This weekend was blissfully unscheduled. I did make a to-do list but it included items like “write a thank you note to mom and dad” and “go to church”. We hit all but 3 of the 16 items which was pretty darn good.

I'm reading a new trilogy from Nora Roberts and I finished up book two, Black Rose, and started in on Red Lily. As always, I really enjoy her style of writing and this week I found myself going to bed sometimes more than an hour later than Jim because I was so engrossed in the novel. This Garden Trilogy has had several points that I find myself laughing out loud or just beaming because I'm excited about what’s transpiring in the book. Unfortunately Red Lily is turning a little bit hookier than the other two books so far (there’s a ghost involved) but the “real life” portion is great.

My good friend, Bill, was a neighbor when I was growing up. Medically he's not doing so hot.... He’s on the verge of being bed-ridden and has to stop in the kitchen to catch his breath (and he’s on full-time oxygen!) on his way from the family room to the bathroom 20 feet away. His wife drives me crazy. Mary doesn’t make the time to take him to the doctor, buy the food that he’s required to eat, or even come home when she says she will to help with dinner. Seriously, how selfish. As a result I had to go grocery shopping for him, which I didn’t mind at all, and bring the food and Nicole over for a visit last night. The good news was that Nicole was on her best behavior. She pet the dog, sat on Bill’s lap, showed him all her signs and body parts when asked, and gave him 3 kisses before we left. It was one of those times where I thanked her profusely for being so good all the way home.

We watched about an hour and a half of the debates on Friday. I thought it was a pretty good match up from what I saw – Obama presented himself very well confidence-wise and got some good points in. He said “John is exactly right” frequently enough that I thought it was kind of weird. I thought McCain harped too much on spending in the beginning but presented his policies well when he got to them. Honestly, I got bored after about an hour fifteen because it was all on foreign policy. I thought the moderator was terrible.

8 comments:

Viki said...

I heard a few snipits of the debate after the fact and also liked what I heard from Obama. I thought it was interesting that beforehand, everyone was predicting he wouldn't do as well because he has less foreign policy experience, but after the fact it seems like he was proclaimed the 'winner'.

I think I read one book in that Nora Roberts series...Blue Dahlia (I think that's the last one?). I must admit that it was very enjoyable.

Glad Bill has folks like you around. I'm sure getting to spend time with Nicole did wonders for his spirits, too!

Finlands finest said...

I wasn't impressed with what I saw of the debate. I do like that fact that Obama can recognize when someone else has a good idea or is "right" that will lead to a better leader, as one cannot be good at everything. At the same time, I felt like he made a few mistakes like calling John "jim" and things like that which shouldn't happen.
McCain was a little scary looking to me...thought he pointed out the lack of experience in his opponent too much other than that I have no real opinion on him yet. I only saw the last half hour or so...

Nicole is such a blessing for people like Bill. She is a very well-behaved a sweet girl!

Martha said...

He called (I'm assuming the moderator, John) him by the wrong name?
That is a huge faux pas. Can you imagine him calling Queen Elizabeth, instead Queen Ester?!? That's just plain rude and elitist (wouldn't it irk you if your boss constantly called you by the wrong name? Like he didn't make the effort to care? You (ok, I) would lose respect for someone like that!) He SAYS he's big on helping 95% of Americans, the majority, the workers, the "little people" (not his words), and yet he can't get a moderator's name right - his actions/words in practice don't match with his fluffed up romance words! That says a lot more about a person than any pre-rehearsed, pre-scripted responses.
I only watched a little of the debate, and wasn't impressed either way. I didn't noticed that he called John, Jim, but maybe that wasn't while I was watching. They always bore me quickly, however, at least with this election, I feel that I need to learn more about what THEY are saying. There's too much negative campaigning which stretches the truth anyway for me to know how each stands. Sure, you can make basic assumptions based what party they are, but that doesn't define their political agendas or specifics.
The one thing I noticed is that each focused on their strengths, and then discounted the other for doing it. For example, McCain was huge on track record in Congress - actual facts you can analyze rather than wishful thinking of what may come in the future. Obama, however, would say things about what he would change in the future - his strength for focusing on "change". McCain can't focus on change if he's saying his past is good. The one time I saw Obama mention "track record", McCain pointed out that he changed his position only after he announced going after presidency and had set part of his agenda, which conflicted with his actions in congress - and Obama did admit that that was true, and then promptly shifted focus elsewhere (right thing to do rather than back track into more trouble!!) I actually had to smirk at that.
I can't sit through that long of them (even that one I watched while at the gym), however, I will try to catch snipits of all/most of them.

Anonymous said...

What a good friend you are! I bet Bill was not only happy about the groceries but about the visit too.

Martha said...

By the way, I like your "to do" list. On the list did you also include things like: wash hair, sleep, breathe, paint fingernails, vacuum floors, ect?

Your friend, Bill, is he an older gentleman with health issues? Either way, that is insensitive of his wife. Then again, is there a vow about "in sickness and in health; good times and in bad" where you promise to take care of the other person, or just not divorce them?!? Does he want and ask for her help, or does he want to maintain any semblance of independance, or other?

Karen said...

ironically vacuuming was on the list... as was the monthly girls' lunch, birthday shopping & grocery shopping. :)

Martha said...

Happy Birthday, Karen!! I hope you have a wonderful day.

LisaMarie said...

I agree, the moderator was TERRIBLE.