Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Out of Touch, but not on purpose

MIA is an understatement lately. On Sunday Hurricane Ike came through Cincinnati. We had wind speeds up to 70MPH and over 90% of the city lost power. They’ve recovered about 40% now but my home and work are both still dark. It’s been a blend of peaceful (lots of reading which is a favorite pastime so I don’t mind a bit!) with several inconveniences (ie we’ll have to pitch nearly all of the refrigerator contents, more than once I’ve wished I could use the computer, etc.). Thank God we have hot water for showers (a luxury my parents don’t have. Then again, they're missing a big chunk of their roof - it blew off and is down to the plywood).

Not sure if I’ll be going into work or not tomorrow. The electric company’s first priority is businesses but that hasn’t been going too well. We waited 50 minutes for gas yesterday and I waited another 25 this afternoon for the other car. Stations just aren’t up and running yet so people flock to the limited choices that are operating.

I’ll try to take some pictures of some of the estimated “tens of thousands” of trees that were knocked over (many over a foot in diameter had their whole root systems lifted straight out of the ground) and the stress that our power and phone lines are under as a result of limbs resting on them. It’s quite a sight.

6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Sorry to hear your parents lost their roof. At least the weather has been decent and no rain.

I have seen trees on houses and lots of other craziness.

This is definitely a new Cincinnati experience.

Martha said...

Glad you didn't get blown away! Hopefully things'll get back to normal soon.

Viki said...

I've been thinking of you guys - I hope you're doing better by today!

LisaMarie said...

Dude, you guys are doing way worse than us! We got our power back on Monday morning. School started again yesterday. Most schools in Dayton are finally back in session.

I do have friends that are still waiting on power but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as what you guys have going on.

Kendall and I have decided to buy a generator after this is all over and they replenish the supply at local stores.

Ms. Sarah said...

I thought what we got up here was bad, but nothing compared to what you are describing!

I am assuming that no mention of anyone in your family being hurt means that everyone is ok, and hoping so.

Laura said...

Wow! That is just crazy! Hope you guys get your power on as soon as they can.