Thursday, September 18, 2008

Trudging On

Still alive, still in the dark. The electric company, according to the news, has about 60% of the city up now and expects to be at 90% by Saturday. I’ve been told that since we’re a new neighborhood and therefore likely on a new transformer we’ll be at the end of the list. The old transformers are full of people and businesses and will be tended to first. Honestly, I can’t argue that logic and am not put out by the inconvenience. I’ve gone to my parents today and yesterday to dry my hair for work and they were gracious enough to have us over for dinner as eating out is getting o-l-d (especially just coming off of a vacation where that’s all we did).

--------------------------------
Nicole
I did talk to Lindsay (my SIL) about more signs to teach Nicole. Nic accurately uses (on her own and when prompted) milk, more, please, thank you, and all done. I wanted to start using again (as in “lets’ do it again”) and good (as in “this is good”, “you’re being so good”, etc.), and verify that I’ve been using the right sign for potty. I was disappointed to learn that “good” is the same sign as “thank you” but from your top lip and not your chin- a bit too close for a 14 month old to grasp, I think. Likewise, as Nicole will sometimes do “please” two-handed so “bath” has been a challenge to differentiate. I saw the sign for potty in a magazine but Lindsay said “toilet” is more common and now I'm disappointed that I’ve been working on the wrong thing with her for 6 weeks. I will probably forgo the “toilet” sign Linds showed me and keep being consistant with what I have been doing. The one shining star is “do it again” which is physically different than anything else we’ve been working on.

Nicole is also repeating words. I've tried to catch her on video saying a few but she gets distracted by the camera so I haven’t been successful. Her cutest ones are “duck” and “turtle” which she says in two very distinct syllables.

I went to a Mother’s Exchange on Saturday morning at 7:30am. Some of those moms were crazy possessive of their finds to the point of being a bit ridiculous. I did pick up a red and white Radio Flyer (yes, the old fashioned kind!!) tricycle for her next birthday. She already adores it, climbs all over it, and pushes it around the hardwood floors. Won’t she be sad when it goes to the basement for the next 10 months? I picked up about $55 in outfits (all winter) for her as well. She has several 18-mo, hand-me-down pairs of jeans from friends/family but her Buddha belly often makes the fly awful tight even though the legs are the right length. Ah well….

4 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I love your daughters buddha belly. :) Sounds like Nicole is learning a lot of new things. I bet it is fun for you!!!

I hope you get power back soon. I thought I would be one of the last because I was so far out--I guess having rich neighbors is helpful ;)--actually I heard that they worked on power for the emergency people, then those that affected the most people, then it went on. My neighborhood probably is only 6 years old--if that as my condo is two years old, so we were lucky!!

Laura said...

I'm always impressed with the things Nicole can do. I hope you catch her saying turtle on video...that sounds so cute!

Katharine said...

I love baby sign language...my bro and wife are teaching it to their son (less than 2 months older than Nicole), and it's amazing what he's learned. Best of all, he doesn't just sit and cry about what he wants cuz now he has a way to communicate it in a way others understand! He knows tons of words...rain, trees, banana, grapes, please, more, all done, horse, aunt marti, diaper, dog, cat, thirsty, milk, hungry, sleep, truck, car, and I'm sure a lot of others that I can't recall right now. I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it can delay speech...but how much does that matter when they're already communicating effectively at an earlier age, and even if the speech is just delayed a few weeks/months...it's not like it keeps them from ever talking! That's definitely one of those things I've seen that I've made a mental note to do when I have children. Even if it reminds me of the movie "meet the parents"
p.s. you can teach Nicole "poop"...make a thumbs up with your right hand. wrap your left hand around the thumb like a fist...now drap the right thumb straight down...like a poop coming out! hahaha!

LisaMarie said...

I was very impressed at how smart Nicole is and how much she communicates at such a young age. She's eons ahead of my niece. It showed me that with work my little one can be just as advanced. And I give Karen and Jim all the credit here. They're really good about getting her to communicate her needs in an effective and real way.