Monday, July 14, 2008

Nicole's Birthday Party

Nicole had a great birthday party on Saturday afternoon. There were about 22 people, all family, in attendance, and she was in great spirits.

I had a book for everyone to sign when they came in, a tradition I think I’ll keep for each of her birthday parties. Vickie (Jim’s mom) and I decorated the house with a dozen balloons and 300 feet of streamers. It looked very festive! I served Italian bar-style for everyone - two types of pasta, marinara and alfredo, chicken and shrimp, lasagna, pizza, plain and garlic bread, and fruit. It's hard to plan food for that many people, I'm hoping everyone got enough. No one complained, but I doubt they would anyway...

She had her first cake after dinner – a marble creation made by Aunt Diane which was brought all the way from Spencerville. There was a specific Nicole cake and then a larger one for the adults. She was a bit tentative at first but then dug in somewhat politely. I eventually cut her a piece out and let her tackle it.

During dessert we had our guests watch a 20 minute “Nicole’s First Year” compilation of pictures and videos from the past 12 months. Everyone really liked it which is good as I was worried that maybe it'd be an overkill. Nicole got bored about 1/3 of the way through though and started opening her presents.

One of her favorite gifts was the homemade rocking horse that Uncle Rusty brought for her. It came complete with a hat and cowgirl outfit!


At the end of the night we played one game: I set out a Bible, a bottle of liquor and a $5 bill and let her walk towards the one that she preferred. This was supposed to represent the course we can expect the rest of her life to follow. See below for what she picked!

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Love the cake picture.

Looks like you will have a party animal! :)

Laura said...

Her party sounded fun! Love the rocking horse.
She went for the booze, but on the bright side she didn't linger too long :)

Anonymous said...

she is such a little cutie pie!!! can we PLEASE see her (and you) before she graduates highschool? please?

Sarah said...

I think the course you can expect her life to follow is leading her to UD...

Katrin said...

This is really sweet. I love her look after she picked the booze!

LisaMarie said...

GO FLYERS! I see you have another future UD alumnus on your hands....Strangely, she looked a LOT like her mother in this video....I seem to recall many photos of us with bottles in our hands too......Genetic??????

Viki said...

I love the baby and cake pictures. :-)