Monday, July 21, 2008

Movie Reviews

We got the chance to watch a few movies lately (for the first time in what feels like FOREVER):

Beowulf (C-): In the age of heroes comes the mightiest warrior of them all, Beowulf. After destroying the overpowering demon Grendel, he incurs the undying wrath of the beast's ruthlessly seductive mother, who will use any means possible to ensure revenge. The ensuing epic battle resonates throughout the ages, immortalizing the name of Beowulf. What I liked about it was the really great animation. What I didn’t like was feeling of wanting to shut the movie off in the first 10 minutes it was on. It picked up in the middle, then got boring and predictable again at the end.

21 (A-): The true story of the very brightest young minds in the country - and how they took Vegas for millions. Ben Campbell is a shy, brilliant M.I.T. student who -- needing to pay school tuition -- finds the answers in the cards. He is recruited to join a group of the school's most gifted students that heads to Vegas every weekend armed with fake identities and the know-how to turn the odds at blackjack... This was a very fun story to watch – both the general plot and the character development throughout. The – comes from the somewhat poor script writing (scenes that were a bit awkward at times). Reminded me of a Ocean’s 11 or Gone in 60 Seconds.


National Treasure 2, Book of Secrets (A-): Treasure hunter Benjamin Franklin Gates looks to discover the truth behind the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, by uncovering the mystery within the 18 pages missing from assassin John Wilkes Booth's diary. Good continuation of such likable characters. The plot wasn’t as engaging or thrilling as the first movie, but as far as sequels go, this one was a keeper.

4 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I have not seen any of those movies. Thanks for the reviews!

Laura said...

I agree completely with your review of Beowulf and National Treasure, so that makes me want to go see 21 since you gave it an A-.

Martha said...

I saw the last one and thought it was good (though I never saw the first National Treasure).

No interest to see 21. Beowulf I'm on the fence about. and your review is exactly what I was afraid it'd be (boring and want to turn it off minutes in). I'm not sure if I even liked it when we read it in HS (then again, I think that was when I missed a lot of school from Mono).

Viki said...

I so appreciate your reviews...I'd wanted to see Beowulf, but maybe not anymore!