Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Outdoor Non-Life

We are making SLOW progress on the deck. It pains me to think that we worked to get it installed and finished by mid-July and other than Nicole’s roller-skating and sandbox have not gotten any utility out of it at all. This weekend I picked up our landscape design from the local nursery. It’ll amount to thousands of dollars of plants for the entire house but we expected that as there are hundreds of plants in the spec. There are a few changes we know we want to make including the addition of a vegetable garden and some landscape borders. He made some great suggestions on trees and plant placement though. We’ll be going in babysteps.

Yesterday at lunch Jim went to Lowes and found us a grill on clearance that we both like. We ended up getting it for more than half off making it very reasonable cost-wise. It has a fridge built in! We’ll pick it up on Wednesday I think.

Still no luck on the furniture. I’ve looked at
Watson’s (3X)
Furniture Fair (3X)
Costco
Home Depot
Sam’s
Lowes
Wal-Mart
Menards
Target
Overstock.com
Patio & Hearth
Sunspot Pool and Patio
Kroger
Meijer
Pottery Barn
Crate & Barrel
Garden Ridge

I think I define “thorough” and “picky”. I'm going to try to make my way to Frontgate sometime soon but not sure if there’ll be anything I like or that is price reasonable. Jim saw a set he really liked but I wasn’t willing to spend $10,000 on furniture and an umbrella. No way, no how.

While Overstock.com and HomeDepot.com both had sets I liked they’re only available online and I'm very leery about buying furniture I’ve never seen in person or actually sat in…..

SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED.

Totally Random note – Jim makes me a PB&J sandwich to eat on my way to work nearly every morning. It just feels weird to eat it from the flat side down versus starting at the arched end.

3 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I wish I had suggestions but as I haven't purchased any patio furniture this year either, I have no thoughts...

Yummm PB&J!

linds said...

i love, love, love PB&J!!! i could probably eat it everyday and not get tired of it :-)

Viki said...

I wouldn't want to spend the money on furniture without seeing it either.

Assuming you will have eventually to replace whatever you get anyway, you could try to find something you could live with for now until you find the perfect thing later. If it's sooner, store the less that perfect set for the when the one you love finally bites it. If it's later, you'll actually have furniture.