Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A list kind of week...

Nicole (25 months)

  • Apparently last week's $180/week daycare tuition went to Nicole learning “Ring Around the Rosy”. I haven’t heard her recite any states from Geography class yet…. She learned about Alaska yesterday.
  • She actually goes on the potty about 1/day now. Yesterday she went 2X (once at school and once at home) which earned her 8 chocolate chips and 10 pennies to put in her bank. Ryann is almost potty-trained and I feel jealous and all the more eager to get Nicole there.
  • She knows all of her colors except grey which I never thought to teach her.
  • My project with her is shapes (she knows triangle and that’s it for right now). Jim’s project is counting (actually understanding the concept of quantity). Our projects are very reflective of our personalities/interests. Jim’s got a 2 week jump on me but he’s doing better than I am.
  • Every morning after the kids get dropped off Jim calls to tell me how it went. I really look forward to these calls.

Me (29 years, 329 days)

  • Contrary to Pandora’s assumption, I do not like any Audioslave music.
  • I called one place about my 30th birthday party plans (5 weeks!!) and have a few other options to check into today. I hope to have a firm plan by the end of the weekend. It’s looking like October 3rd’ll be the date. Plan ahead now!
  • Work is in full-swing and going well. I like the projects I'm working on and my lunch visits with Chris help with any guilt I'm feeling about leaving him.
  • I'm reading the 7th book in the series Jenny lent me – I’d say it’s a fair statement that I'm “engrossed”. Fortunately there are at least 4 more books after the one I'm reading to keep me involved.
  • I'm bored of hearing how Kate Gosselin is “totally for her kids”.

Chris (2 months)

  • He loves to be talked to and will smile and coo back to you when you give him your full attention.
  • He’s very patient with a sometimes overly-loving sister.
  • Bath-time (sponge baths on the kitchen counter) is never met with resistance.
  • He’s eating 4oz every 2.5-3 hours during the day and every 2 hours at night.
  • The little bugger still manipulates his way into his too-tired-to-argue parents’ bed in the middle of the night.
  • Chris is totally grown out of newborn clothes and is firmly in the 3 month size.

Jim (32 years, 8.5 mo)

  • Jim plays a potential triple header tonight (every game he wins means he plays immediately following). We won’t be staying for the whole thing but I hope he does.
  • He started another MBA class last night. This means that one of the two of us have been on XU’s campus at least once/week for the last 10 straight years. Sheesh.
  • Jim redid our 2009 taxes on Turbo Tax in an effort to match our accountant’s results. If he is close we’ll do our own taxes next year and save the $500+ in preparation fees. I'm glad he’s willing to do this because I don’t have any desire to do it but want the results.
  • Jim mows about 1/week and when he’s done we both sit and admire the lawn. He does such a good job. It makes me feel kinda old to be one of “those people” who sits around admiring grass.
  • He’s been tucking Nicole in lately and they seem to have a good routine – they read books (Bamboozled is the new favorite) and sing songs. We had to look up the words to Frere Jacques as neither of us could remember what came after “Dormez-vous?”

6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

1. It made me smile to read that I am positively influencing what you and your daughter read (and possibly Jim due to reading to Nic!)

2. You are going to have your Birthday party on a Tuesday night?? I will totally skip dance to party with you!!!

3. I like how both you and Jim have teaching goals for Nic. I think it is good for her because I am sure you both have different teaching styles and she will get plenty of attention from both of you!

4. Chris is adorable! I am glad he is patient with his overly doting sister!

5. I think Nic is going to be the smartest little girl in the world!

Viki said...

Catching up on your blog after not reading for a week or so..

Is there something wrong with me that I feel weird about having birthday parties for myself? Jen, I think you're looking at the November calendar!

Chris is still keeping you up every couple of hours at night? That sucks!

LisaMarie said...

Good update. Too bad I suck and don't this as dilegently as you. Marking the party date now in my phone!!! :)

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad to hear the family is doing well. Love the update like that. :-) You have such smart kids. I bet Nic will be the top of her class!

Anonymous said...

NIC MAY END UP A PRETTY SMART KID BUT THAT WILL ONLY BE BECAUSE OF HER DORKY ASS PARENTS. POOR KID WILL NEED LOOKS TOO BUT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Katrin said...

Who is Anonymous?!

Anyway, here are the German words for Frere Jacques:

Bruder Jakob, Bruder Jakob,
schläfst du noch? schläfst du noch?
Hörst du nicht die Glocken?
Hörst du nicht die Glocken?

Ding Deng Dong. Ding Deng Dong.

I'm looking forward to a video of her singing THAT. :) :) :)