Monday, December 17, 2007

Weekend of 12/14/07

Another long weekend. Here are the [what turned out to be extended] notes!
Watched Déjà Vu this weekend (Denzel Washington) – it was by the director of the Minority Report and had the same type of feel. Good flick – A.

Jim turned 31 on Saturday! I’ve only seen a few (ie 5) gray hairs on his head and I suspect that even when they start coming in more (ie when Nicole is a teenager- ha!) he’ll make a good-looking salt and pepper guy. He got a miter saw from my parents, Mike, Lindsay and RyRy as well as a deck building how-to book. He’s going to be picking out new bowling shoes from Nicole and I some time soon.

Saturday was also my last day of teaching – went really well and the students all bid their farewells. I had one actually use the words “this class empowered me at my job”. Guess where she works? The only place where people sincerely use phrases like that in “real” conversation – Procter & Gamble. J Still, it was quite a compliment.

We’re making house progress – the mattress was delivered for the new bed, we’ll sleep there for the first time on Thursday when Sarah F comes to take over the guest room we’re currently residing in (the comforter is at the drycleaners). We also moved in the dining room table into the dining room and loaded up the china cabinet with china. The entertainment center was delivered and is MASSIVE but beautiful.

On Sunday we went to a cookie exchange for the neighborhood over at the model house. We got to meet the neighbors who will be moving in next door to us – an AA couple who’re retired and empty-nesters. He told Nicole she could play in his grass which I thought was a good sign. I raised an eyebrow though when he later stated that he didn’t want “any of those Springbrooks moving in next door”. A Springbrook is the ranch-style house and his reasoning is that he doesn’t want a little house next to his big Courtland. Yeahhhh…. Anyway, Nicole pooped through her outfit so we had to head home early but Jim stuck around for some more partying and found out the following:
* There are 10 houses sold in our neighborhood including 3 yet to be built
* 3 more lots are “on hold”
* There are 3 more hot prospects looking that will probably make a decision in the Spring leading our new sales rep to state that she’s “running out of lots”
* There was a meeting to officially discuss the lot behind us (the one we just want to take over) and the developer is looking for an offer that he can counter-offer to buy it. We have to discuss this more thoroughly as the value we’d place on it is certain to be MUCH less than what he wants…
* Lots of conversation on the options that people got in their houses. For reference, one couple started with a Courtland model (base price $210,000) and upgraded it to the final price of $480,000+. Once conversation started we found out about more options (ie a fireplace blower) that we didn’t even know existed!
* OK, a little bragging… What was surprising to me was that it was OUR house that dominated the conversation- people liked how far back it was set from the street, how large it was, the fact that it’s an Avalon model and we drive an Avalon car, our retaining wall, etc. I had no idea that people were actually sincere about how great our house was- I thought that it was mostly politeness of “oh you have a nice house” but these people were really impressed. Now when our house finally lists on the auditor page they’ll go “oh, they must not have gotten many upgrades” (which we did- 3 pages of them)– we have the second largest house in the neighborhood and according to the online records paid the second least amount of money for the house. The lack of a finished basement, granite countertops and deck lead to that lower cost. In the end our final money spent total will get jacked up when we add those items on ourselves, but the cost isn’t reflected in our buying price.
* I got a little chiding about looking a little unwelcoming (my words, not theirs) as we don’t leave our outside lights on and are rarely seen. The sales agent explained to them that we work a lot which isn’t true but apparently worked as far as an excuse. Really it’s that we forget to turn on the lights and our living rooms are in the back of the house so you can’t see that the interior lights are on and we’re home by looking at the front. I’ll have to work on that as that reputation is the antithesis of the image I want to portray to my neighbors.

We wrapped up the night with attending Ronny’s wake (babysitter’s husband) which was a LONG line (1 hour +). Nicole lit up like a light when Andrea picked her up. She was all smiles and coo’s, as was Andrea. Further evidence that we have loving daycare. I understood why the line was so long – Andrea didn’t want to let Nicky go and we delayed things They’re going to start taking kids back tomorrow which I thought was quick but Jim agreed with.

Lastly, we caught Dave and Carole’s Christmas concert at their church which we attend every year. Beautiful music and my mother-in-law loved the whole thing. Job well-done!! Nicole was exhausted from a full day of people-seeing so we had to leave quickly afterwards to get her to bed.

I CAN NOT WAIT until I'm off for a full week at Christmas!!!!! I have so much to do!!!

12 comments:

Megs said...

I am even more excited to see the house!! Since that's obviously not happening anytime soon... can we get more pictures? Living room? Furniture? Outside? Backyard? Kitchen?! I know I'm a pest but you know how much I love houses!!!

TreyJ said...

That's a heck of a weekend! Very cool that your house is the object of your neighbors' affection.

Viki said...

As happy as I am that I'm gigging all weekend, I'm really wishing now that I had it off so I could come take over your guest room with Sarah. I'll have to call you guys...

Martha said...

Happy Birthday, Jim!!

I can't wait until I'm off for a full week at Chistmas - I have so little to do. :) Play with adorable kids. Yup. that's the only thing on my to do list for 6 days.

Mamma Sarah said...

Whew. I'm tired just from reading that. :-P Sounds like a lot of fun. Are you telling us that you have no Christmas lights up outside?

Finlands finest said...

Happy Birthday Jim!!

LisaMarie said...

We totally forgot Jim's birthday! We're jerks! And we were going to call you to go to Benihana's with us on Friday night and thought for sure you'd be busy! Sounds like you weren't!

I'm glad you got to meet more neighbors. And it's always nice to hear people tell you how great your house is. I love hearing it. It makes you proud. :)

I was actually just bragging about you last night. I was telling some ladies I had just met about my super thrifty girlfriend who got a great deal on a huge house. :) You're now MY rich friend. HAHAHA.

Katrin said...

Happy Birthday Jim! You always have such busy weekends, incredible.
I personally didn't like Déja Vu, I fell asleep watching it...

Karen said...

man! we had no fri night plans & love Benihana'ing with the 5 year-married Erdahls! sorry we missed it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen

~Nicky

nak said...

Hi Karen

Gtemp said...

That gift for Jim's bday was from me too! haha me and mom did all the work..