Monday, September 10, 2007

Weekend of 9/7/07

Friday: I worked until 5 as normal but Jim had a fun day at work so he picked up Nicole early (4:00) and hung out with her until I came home. That evening we went to Kohl’s to look for a new comforter set (since we’re buying a King-sized bed for the new house, none of our Queen sheets will fit!) and found not only a comforter but a big summer clothes clearance sale for kids. Two crazy things happened: 1) we bought about $20 in clothes for Nicole and Ryann that are really cute ($4 for a dress, $3 for shorts, etc.) but the next day when I returned the entire clearance section disappeared. 4 FULL racks of 50-80% off clothes were gone as if they never existed. Glad we bought when we did! And 2) the comforter we found and liked was 60% off but we had a $25 gift card we forgot at home. I decided to come back the next day to buy (hence how I saw the kids clothes were gone) and the price went to a mere 30% off. UGH- was not willing to spend $50 more on it.

We also narrowed down who we’re buying the sprinkler system from and hope to have a firm install date on it this week. A “mere” $4900+tax will keep our lawn the envy of the neighborhood for years to come. More importantly it’ll keep me from standing outside watering for hours a month for the rest of my life.

Saturday: BUSY day- Mom and I left Jim with Nicole for the entire morning and early afternoon. This constituted the longest time (5 hours) Jim has been with her alone in her entire life. She was still alive when I returned and happy to boot! Mom and I went to the Mother’s Exchange at Lakota HS and got Nic about 5 new outfits for $9, then to Carter’s where Mom bought her another skirt, then to the fabric store where we searched out material for drapes for the new digs. We picked out the style for the kitchen, living room/dining room and got a good idea for the family room. The guy there was REALLY helpful and I'm going back soon with room dimensions, etc. so we can pick out material and order it.

We did end up finding another comforter on sale at Linens N Things that was on sale AND we will get a 20% price adjustment on when I return this week. Just need sheets!!

That night we had Sean and Jessica over for game night- Racko, Euchre, and Payday. Alas I won none! What was adorable was Emily following me around a bit and imitating me tickling Ben, my posture sitting against the wall, etc. Too cute!

Nicole is somewhat of a nuisance in the evenings (that sounds horrid to say about a baby I know) because she eats every hour and a half; this makes entertaining a little cumbersome because I need to frequently leave to take care of her. Giving her a bottle is actually harder as my supply of stored milk quickly dwindles because there isn’t a 1-to-1 replacement of it (since I skip pumping). Ah well. We have understanding friends so it’s okay.

Sunday: The Childers came over in the morning and we took them to our new house so Jason could evaluate our landscaping. Good news is that he had a lot of ideas and really knows his stuff. Bad news is that his ideas, while awesome, are expensive. The waterscape he recommended will be in the thousands but sounds so cool we want to do it (but won’t now because too many other, essential things need to be bought). We have to make some decisions on flowering perennials and whether or not to keep some of the package plants that might not be as kid/pet friendly (ie pointy-leaved holly).

I ran out to Lindsay’s bridal shower (yeah! I'm getting a sister-in-law!) and then to bowling that evening. I suspect we went 2-and-2 like we did last week though we won’t know for sure until the results are posted online later this week. Carole GUSHED over Nicole and it was so nice having a “babysitter” there to help take care of her.

Good news today—we have a house showing at 1:00!!! Keep your fingers tightly crossed for us!!!!!!

8 comments:

Viki said...

Sorry your first on-sale comforter was a bust, but glad it all worked out in the end. Congrats to Jim for keeping your daughter alive, too. :-)

Good luck with the house showing today!

Mamma Sarah said...

Sounds like life is picking right up where you left off before having Nicole. Jeeze... :-) I can't wait to see your house! :-) We have to get together soon.

Finlands finest said...

My fingers are crossed for the house!

That is cute that Emily followed you around imitating you! You know that is the most sincere from of flattery! :)

I had no doubts that Jim would be a wonderful Dad! I'm just glad that Nicole appreciates him too!

Megs said...

Cute comforter picks... I like #1, although I am a little more prone to #2 as it's not as grandmother like...

Sounds like you had a very busy weekend! I would be exhausted if I was you!!

Good luck on the house showing... better pick me nice neighbors :)

LisaMarie said...

Remember that Johnson and Johnson commercial...."Having a baby changes everything"....sounds true when I read your blog! Esp when you say things like she makes nighttimes harder. Or having guests over. That's why we all need to hire a babysitter and let them watch all the kids at once so the adults can have "adult time". You just need to get more friends with kids so it makes the babysitter cost effective. :)

Sarah said...

Busy weekend indeed! But it sounds like you not only got a lot accomplished but had some fun in the process....it's all about balance!

Glad to hear that both Jim and Nicole survived their first extended time together.

Katrin said...

Wow, you have a full plate! It's incredible how much you get done. Too bad that you couldn't get that comforter - I liked the first one better, personally. I am a granny!
Good luck with selling the old house. :)

Anonymous said...

You are muchos busier than me. That sounds so pathetic, considering.