Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hello, Dumbass

Most of my pet peeves have to do with driving, which is unfortunate as people shouldn’t act DUMB when operating hundreds/thousands of pounds of metal.

1) Turning right onto a side street with no traffic signal or stop sign should NOT require you to make a complete stop before turning. Why why why do people feel they must come to a total or near total stop before executing their turn is beyond me. Really, you can take a 90 degree bend fluidly, and SAFELY I might add, by just slowing down.

2) Inevitably when I go to any major “big box” store like Target, Home Depot, etc. there is always someone walking up the dead center of the aisle, requiring all drivers to creep up behind them. How these pedestrians don’t hear a car 6X the size of them and only 8 feet behind them is a mystery that may never be solved, but they always seem surprised to see a car when they casually glance over their shoulder. Note that, defying all logic, upon seeing a car behind them moving over to the side is not always the immediate response.

3) As I drove down the street to Nicole’s daycare, a car pulled out from the right and turned left directly in front of me. I honked my horn as I was driving about 30 miles an hour straight for her WITH the right-of-way. The crazy woman started yelling all these obscenities at me, all the while slowing her turn down to make sure got every last one of them in. I was completely baffled how her illegal and unsafe turn had HER upset, so I just shook my head in disbelief while I sat stopped in the middle of the road, waiting for her to turn/shut-up. Of course this woman had what looked like a 3 year old in her back seat as she dropped the F-bomb at least 4 times.

Oh, and I don’t like open kitchen cabinet doors either.

14 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

What I love is people who use parking lots as raceways. UGH! Hello... I'm walking here!

Sarah said...

I totally agree with you on the insane number of idiots on the road. And I don't like open kitchen cabinet doors either.

Katrin said...

I am glad that I hardly ever drive. Certainly not in the city. But what I hate are slow snails going up the mountain road at about 30 km/h, when I want to go 80-100 km/h and they take the whole road, so there's no chance you could pass them. Those are mostly Germans or Dutchies. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't "STAND" the idiots that do not use their "TURN SIGNAL". These are the folks that usually have one brake light out and weave in and out between cars on the expressway. Why in the heck can they not click their lever? I guess they want to get rear ended and collect. Really makes me mad sometimes.

Megs said...

Who leaves kitchen cabinet doors OPEN??? That's just an accident waiting to happen! And who wants to see the mess behind those doors anyways?! I can't stand open CLOSET doors. Those things are in the closet for a reason! COVER IT UP

Anonymous said...

Mike leaves the cabinet doors open!!! It drives me crazy too Karen!!! What am I getting myself into?!?!

Viki said...

Lindsay, husbands are trainable. T used to leave the bathmat on the floor every day. :-)

I hate dumb people driving, and am not afraid to honk at them.

LisaMarie said...

I just commented on your second peeve this weekend. Why do people walk down the middle of the aisle!!???!!! And I'm with Dave, I hate people who don't use their signals. Esp on lane changes.

Martha said...

I hear you. On all aspects.
In the last week I had:
1 person cut off both me and someone coming the opposite direction as they turned Left w/o room. I watched them...they didn't even LOOK both ways.
and,
stopped at a stop sign. three cars go. I go to go and the first one cuts me off. I try again, and a SECOND car tries to cut me off (I was turning left, the first one was trying to benefit from someone turning left in front of me but didn't really do it "in time"). And then a second car tried to take advantage of THAT first car blocking me, and I just floored it and shook my head at the idiot and cut him off.
:)
Good thing I don't have TRUE road rage, huh? I laughed it off as I drove away. besides, I was going to ride horses. :)

Finlands finest said...

I cannot agree more!

Katharine said...

i am apparently invisible on the road...at least 3 times cars pulled around me at intersections, even to the point of driving over the curb in the grass, only to then stop and wait for traffic(hence why I was stopped...duh!) i had my turn signals on and these drivers never honked, yelled, or gave dirty looks. it was as if i wasn't there in my suv...

Finlands finest said...

Ok, so I just had to throw on the brakes as someone turned left right in front of me....come on, I have a bright blue car people, open your eyes!!!

TreyJ said...

Never, never, ever drive in Italy, then. You'll go nuts!

Gtemp said...

People are definitely stupid! I am with you on the whole stupid drivers thing.

My biggest pet peeve... People who get on the elevator to go up one floor or go down one floor. Honestly, if it's a busy elevator and there are stairs, USE THEM! It takes more time waiting for the elevator to stop on your floor and everyone else on the elevator rolls their eyes as they see the "new guy" hit the next floor button.

I need a drink...