Monday, September 24, 2007

Weekend of 9/21/07

Friday: I went into work late because we had our final house walk-through before we close on Thursday. Paul, our project manager went through all of our warranties, maintenance recommendations (ie sealing the driveway), and, of course, the house itself. Remarkably, there were very few items of note that we “blue taped”- some dings in the drywall here, some scratches in the hardwood there. HOWEVER, there was on major thing wrong that may cause some stir- there was a seam in our Formica countertop that was 1) VERY noticeable, and 2) gaping in some areas. Now, so I don’t go overboard, gaping to me is a 1/8 inch spread, but in my countertop, in the frickin’ center of the workspace area, that’s huge. Mom showed me how her seam, which was sealed like they intend to do for me, rubbed away over time, allowed water to seep into the particle board underneath and eventually bow. NOT HAPPENING. I'm going to see the seal they put on this morning after work today but if it’s not satisfactory I'm making them replace the whole counter.

Jim would say “see, I told you we should have gotten the quartz” here most likely.

Saturday: I got my haircut in the morning and immediately upon my return proceeded to cook for 5 hours. First I had to make Jim strawberry pancakes for breakfast and then I made desserts for the shower that evening: Black Forrest Cake (Mike’s favorite!), Pumpkin bars, good ole’ American fudge brownies, and these fruit and poundcake skewers whose recipe I found on meals.com. By the time Jim came home from picking up our new plants at Natorps, I was exhausted and had filled the sink with battered bowls, whisks and baking tins.

The shower was a success though! Mary Ann and I coordinated very well (I enlisted Dad to help me make appetizers, Mary Ann did the main meal (catered) and I handled desserts and drinks) and Mike and Lindsay got a bunch of gifts- many they can use right away like kitchen utensils, tools from Home Depot, a water filter, towels, etc. The babies behaved and got passed around the whole night. In fact, the only time I saw Nicole was to feed her!

Sunday: I slept terrible that evening because MY KID SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME! I didn’t expect it so I kept getting up every few hours in disbelief that she was still asleep. Will this stay a trend?? She slept from 10:30 to 7 last night too… we’ll see if she does it tonight!

Jim and I ran errands, watered the plants purchased Saturday, and went to bowling. I bowled like complete and utter garbage, helping our team lose ¾ games. UGH. One game I had under 100!

Jim hung out with Nic, who’s now enjoying her Bumbo seat, while I packed. She can sit in it (the Bumbo) now that she holds her head completely on her own. (little plug- Lisa, notice the outfit?)

Let me add here that Nicole L-O-V-E-S Jim. If he comes to talk to her she smiles and laughs almost immediately. When he walks away she turns her head and then her body as far as she can to watch him go. It’s beautiful to watch. My remaining claims to fame are that I can feed her and that my touch still calms her down best when she’s fussy. Other than that, she’s most interested in her daddy. I don't mind too much though. :)

8 comments:

Viki said...

I love the picture - it's nice that she likes to go to her daddy so much, too. That way you know you can take a break sometimes...

Good job on the shower!

With regards to the counter - I'd make them replace the counter, too.

Finlands finest said...

I'm ask for a replacement counter as well, for the exact reason you stated. After awhile, water will get down there and the wood will bow.

I like the picture I get of you in the kitchen with a ruffly apron on baking up some tatsy treats. I realize that it is an unrealistic picture because there is no way you would have flour on your face or look even slightly like Lucy (I Love Lucy) but thats the picture I get :)

So glad that Nicole loves her Daddy, but then who wouldn't!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the shower Karen! It was absolutely wonderful :-)

Sarah said...

Congrats on hosting a wonderful shower, I would expect nothing less from you!

Obviously Nicole has good taste, who wouldn't love a daddy as hot and amazing as hers!

Katrin said...

... and there I go boasting about baking a cake last night!
Nicole looks so pretty in her little chair. Love how she crunches up her feat. :)

Megs said...

Glad the shower went well! I'm sure they got lots of great things and the desserts (and the rest of the food) were delicious!

And I think that's the cutest thing about Jim and Nicole... I can only imagine!

LisaMarie said...

I'm with Sarah, I turn around and watch you husband when he leaves a room too! LOL!

What an EXCELLENT outfit! I wonder what FABULOUS person picked that out?

And aren't bumbos great? I think all babies look like yard gnomes when they sit in them though! HAHA.

And I'm with you on the countertop. Make them do it right.

Karen said...

she DOES look like a garden gnome!