Friday, December 30, 2005

Dreams Gettin' Me Sappy

I had a dream last night that had me thinking when I woke up. My mind drifted back to my wedding but from other’s perspective…

I remember what it felt like to stand up for Jessy, Lisa, Sarah and Viki. I felt honored and proud that I was their friend and that I was close enough to them to be chosen for a bridesmaid. I like to think that the attendants, readers, and family involved in my wedding felt the same way.

My dream was about the future and led me to think about weddings from my parents’ friends’ perspective. Those people who were in their wedding, who later heard the announcement that my parents were pregnant with me, who celebrated with them when I was born and then, 25 years later, when I got married.

I woke up smiling at the prospect that some day I will be that friend – sitting in the middle of a pew watching Emily or Alex get married and looking up at my girl friend in the second row crying. I think that when the time comes I’ll cry not for those who are getting married, but at the lifelong friendship I’ll have had with their mother and how, 25 years prior to that, she was with me and celebrated my wedding.

I hope that I’ll be a good enough friend in the present so that these thoughts are a reality in the future.

1 comment:

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Karen, you are already that person you hope to be. You deserve that happiness more than any other person I know, and if there is any justice in this world, you will get exactly what you want.