Monday, December 19, 2005

Weekend of 12/17

I am Christmas cantata’d out. We (J & I) went to church on Sunday (close your mouth!) and instead of a traditional service they had a hour and fifteen minute Christmas cantata. While I really enjoyed most of the music, and did actually give deep thought (I’m not joking) to the meaning of Christmas, it went on entirely too long. Poor Jim, who does not like live music in general, was about ready to hang himself.

Later last night we drove out to Red Bank Road to watch friends’ Christmas singing performance. They did a really good job and sang a mix of “traditional” Christmas carols and a bunch of the random ones people write and dream will become classics.

Between this and the other hanging out we did (thanks for dinner, Jon & Kristi; and for game-night Jess & Sean) I believe that we have successfully conveyed to people how busy we are. Twice I heard “these are our friends, Jim & Karen. These are the people you have to book a month in advance with if you want to hang out.” These comments made me happy for two reasons: 1) I feel flattered that I have enough friends and activities to be busy all the time, and 2) people are learning not to get offended if we tell them we have other plans and can’t make their event.

NOTE: This does NOT mean you should stop inviting us places.

3 comments:

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Damn, I get crap when I plan a week in advance. My friends would disown me if they had to plan that far ahead.

LisaMarie said...

I'm usually shocked when I can get you within the same month that I call! I didn't realize people were able to book you in the calendar month!

Karen said...

Yeah, booking ahead works well for all involved? Except i think it makes people realize how busy THEY are too!!!