Thursday, December 29, 2005

Happy 80th Birthday, Grandpa

On this, my grandfather’s 80th birthday, I’d like to recall a few memorable things about him:

1) According to my grandmother, he lost his butt around the same time he lost 4.5 inches off his height
2) When my father asks him if he has any “spare cherry” (wood) that he can have, the consistent response: “Hell No”
3) That in his growing age he has a tendency to tell the girlfriends of his grandson’s that they need to model whatever clothes, especially lingerie they have received for their birthday, Christmas, etc.
4) When I tell him I love him he always responds “you too” rather than the full phrase
5) My pride when my mother told me how he and grandma generously donate to Red Cross after every major disaster worldwide
6) During any fishing outing he catches no less than four times as many fish any of his companions
7) The now infamous “Love it” after receiving gifts
8) Consistent stock tips, leads on new businesses coming into the area, and advice on anything wood-working related that comes to Jim and I
9) My concern that he was going to think Jerry Springer was representation of the real world
10) Repetition of the same stories (when Kroger came to him for raisons), jokes (when the pope drove the limo and got pulled over), and phrases ("where ya goin'? No where. Whatcha doin'? Nothing.") over and over to the same people year in and year out

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just HAD to comment on this one!! Your grandpa is a hoot! I can totally see Bryan being the exact same way 60 years from now!

Can't forget the 'grandkids + significant others' picture last night where your grandpa seemed to slide in a tickle on the small of my back (as he always does) and your grandma replying (as she rolls her eyes) "watch him megan! he'll getcha!"

I'll never forget several key things you described but most of all... the way he always complimented girls on their 'pearly whites' and 'tight behinds' :) His butt may have faded away slightly but not the charm

Mamma Sarah said...

Man, how I love that man... he makes up for the grandfather that I never had...

The memory I have of him is when we were all at the wedding... and he was flirting with all the bridesmaids and saying how pretty we all were... and what a sight were were. :-D

Happy Birthday to Grandpa!

Karen said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment - i was touched at your sentiments!!!