Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Good ole Matt

Quick pic of Nicole. Jim said the flowers were way too cheesey but I like the shot of her anyway. Viki helped me take it when she was in town this weekend (Thanks again!). Nic is 3 weeks old today!

Yesterday I ran to babies r us to exchange an outfit and a car seat base when I recognized the guy who would be standing in front of me at the guest service desk. It’s one of those weird things where you know the person in line and it’s been so long you feel sorta obligated to say hello and catch up but you’ve lived the last 10 years without doing so and wouldn’t miss the interaction if you didn’t have it but at the same time are kinda curious how they turned out. (Did you follow all that?) Anyway, I decided at first to go get the other base and if he was still there when I returned I’d say hello.

He was still there.

So I waited, did my exchange, and interrupted him before I left to pick out a new outfit. He was just who I thought he was – Matt M.- co-worker from the Orchard Hill concession stand when I was 15 and my date to Date Dance sophomore year.

Good news- he knew who I was so no awkward reintroductions.

As you can imagine, he and his wife are having a baby, hence why he was at BRU. Weirdness- he married Jamie Z- a girl he went to gradeschool with, I job-shared with when I was 16, swam swim team with, and took driver’s ed with. I was honestly more interested in what she was doing with her life than him, but didn’t want to get weird but slanting the conversation to be all about her.

Anyway, it was a short dialog in general and I didn’t learn much about what he was up to before we parted. He made me all nostalgic for about a half hour though. I’ll look for our picture and try to post it if I find it…

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

too cute!!! I tried to get that outfit for Ryann too so the cousins could match but they didn't have her size. The flowers are cute ... don't listen to Jim :-)

Finlands finest said...

Want to hear something funny. Cindy actually works with Jamie Z. I knew she was pregnant! She is going to be at my parents this weekend for a Tastefully Simple party. :)

Megs said...

It's always nice to see people from your past and get a quick catch up... esp if they remember you! I actually just saw someone who I worked with when I was 16 (he was/is about 10 years older and still hot as ever) last night at volleyball... however, I didn't have the courage to say hi. So props to you!

Oh and we're all so glad to know that you're still alive and doing well in your little cave over there w/the little one! :)

Megs said...

Oh and how rude of me (sorry mind still a little set on my hot blast from the past last night)... Nicole's picture... adorable. I don't care if the flowers are cheesy, it's still cute!! Take as many pictures as you can! She'll appreciate them when she's older. That is the cutest dress too!

Viki said...

Aww, you didn't want to post a boob shot? Baby manipulation was fun. :-)

Glad that the dude you ran into remembered who you were!

Mamma Sarah said...

What a cute pic. Too bad Jim is not up for the corney shots... maybe you'll end up chosing that shot for her graduation picture... hahahaha.

Finlands finest said...

I agree the pic is adorable. I cannot believe I left that out of my last comment!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I flaked on ya'll this weekend. Time sure went quickly with the family.
:(
I should have called. I apologize. :(

Katrin said...

Such a cute photo! And Viki's said that you had a 45 min photo session, so I am greedily looking forward to more, more, more!! ;)
I am not a fan of running into people, I never know what to say. Now that I am on the German version of Facebook, it's a little easier to stay in touch. Good that he remembered you!

LisaMarie said...

Cute story. And cute kid. Ger her a corsage like that for her wedding rehearsal some day. That would make you and her cry!

Unknown said...

The picture of Nicole is cute and no the flowers aren't too cheesy.

I saw Deedee Finley (from McAuley) the other day and she had told me that Jamie was pregnant. Weird how its a small world, huh?

:)

Anonymous said...

Here's my "memory" from Date Dance.

First of all, I didn't go. A group of friends pretty much boycotted it.
SO, we got together at Jamie R's house. I can't remember who was there, other than Jamie and Lori.
Jamie introduced me to pizza with out red sauce. And I never looked back.

Key learning from that night: if you stay awake until 2 AM on "fall back" of daylight savings, you totally missed out on an extra hour of sleep. Since then, I have ALWAYS gone to sleep before 2 AM on that night. Why did we stay awake? B/c we wanted to see how long it would take before automated "official time" (like calling "time" on the phone) would take to update on that night. note: we fell asleep at the "new" 3 AM and it hadn't been changed yet. When we woke up in the morning it had.