Monday, August 27, 2007

Back in Action

I felt like I was 8 and getting ready for my first day of school this morning. I picked out my outfit the night before and tried to get some of the final details ready for this morning, my first day back at work after maternity leave.

So, how’d it go? Okay. The schedule was to be me get up at 6am, get showered and ready for work, feed Nicole by 6:45 and be out the door at 7:30. I wanted to be at the sitter’s by 8:00 so I could go over some notes with her and still be at work by 8:30. Well, I got about 15 minutes off schedule by getting up 6 minutes late, having a sleepy baby who didn’t want to eat, and battling 275 construction traffic. Oh well.

I made up a 2 page sheet about Nicole to give to Marsha the babysitter. I included items like when she’s supposed to eat (10, 1, & 4), how to work the bottle warmer, when she normally naps (12-1, 2-4), her preferences (going outside, sleeping with her hands in “touchdown” position, etc.), and her congestion issues. Blame it on me being a first-time mom, but Jim said that it was an overwhelming amount of information. I explained it as causally as possible, and Marsha and Andrea seemed appreciative of my efforts. That or they humored me; either way I don’t care.

Yeah, when it was time to leave I cried. A lot. It’s not that I don’t trust the babysitter, I do, but part of me feels guilty for leaving her with anyone other than me.

Once I got to work I did pretty well. I made a pit-stop in the bathroom to check my make-up and make sure it wasn’t running down my cheeks and then I started in on the hundreds of emails I had yet to read. Jason made me cry by asking about her, but other than that brief stint I was so busy it wasn’t bothersome to be apart.

My boss did almost walk in on me pumping though as he didn't know why someone was in the vacant office. ha!

I picked her up at 12:45 and she was sleeping in her car seat. I think this half week will be just enough to get me comfortable with leaving her. I suspect when I get into full-blown work mode it won’t be too much of a problem. We’ll see for sure in a few weeks though. :)

9 comments:

Viki said...

:-) You're cute with all of the instructions you left. I would've done the same thing, but I'm sure Marsha's seen it all before - they were humoring you, but gladly...

Megs said...

Awww! You are so cute! We're so glad to have you back! I'm sure it will get easier!

Mamma Sarah said...

Welcome back to the land of us working moms. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad and don't let Jim harrass you about the amount of information you provided. You should have seen our list that we left with Danny's mom! :-)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you and Nicky survived your first day! Hopefully, it will only get easier from here. I know my sister had a hard time going back to teaching last week and leaving the girls, but now that they are back into the swing of things, its become much easier. :)

Katharine said...

oh darling, that's nothing...i've left twice as long "memo's" for the dogsitters....

Finlands finest said...

I think it is cute that you left a note list. BTW, I would have died had my boss walked in on me pumping!!

Anonymous said...

(Jen would have especially been embarrassed if her boss walked in on her pumping b/c she works from home...)
Good luck on your transition. I like that you're taking a week of half days first.

Sarah said...

I think your list is fantastic, and I would have done the same thing.....only worse! Everyone is right that it will get easier, and I also agree that starting with half days will help the transition.

Katrin said...

Very cute that you wrote a list. I'd think a professional babysitter would know how to use a bottle warmer :)
Again, I must cry out loud when I hear that you are back at work after only a month!!!