Thursday, August 23, 2007

End of our first phase


My maternity leave is coming to an end. Today and tomorrow are my last full days off. Next week I go into work in the mornings and pick her up in the afternoon; the week after that will be the beginning of “normal” life from here out – Nicole at the babysitter, Jim and I at work.

This six weeks has gone fast. The first part went fast just because everything was a learning curve with Nicole and I was still somewhat in “non-baby” mode in thinking that I could accomplish a long list of other items during the day. I was pretty successful at doing so, if I do say so myself. However, allowing myself to continue that multi-tasking mentality I think has cost me some valuable “stop and smell the roses” time, something I had trouble with during pre-baby days but was a less significant problem than missing the “rose” time with Nicole. I’ve tried to remedy this by watching her sleep more, dancing in the kitchen with her, rocking and talking on the porch with her on a more regular basis.

Timing for my leave has been good though as I’ve been able to help some friends out - I like the fact that I could benefit some others over the last few weeks when I might not otherwise have been able to (because I’d be at work).

I’ve been frequently asked if I’m ready to go back to work and give up my time with Nicole. I’m honestly torn between hoping she’s sad about going somewhere else and getting reports of a fussy kid all day (as that might mean she misses me) and hoping she adjusts perfectly and is no worse/better off than if she were here at home with me all day. The second option is only bothersome as I’d like to think that I’m better for her than anyone and no one can do as good of a job as I can, which I know isn’t the case as I chose to send her to Marsha because she has lots more kid and mom experience than I and is probably equal/better for Nicole than I am.

I’ve only cried at the thought of leaving her once. We’ll see how I do come Monday.

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I am sure it will be difficult that first day to drop off Nicole at the sitters house. I am glad I am not going to be you that morning. I also do appreciate you being home and me being able to spend a little extra time with you!

Viki said...

That's a fantastic picture of Nicole. :-)

I hope that Nicole is good for Granny Marsha, but that she takes long naps in the afternoon. That way you'll have a happy child who you won't be missing that much time with...

Megs said...

Awwwww!! Well if it makes you feel any better, your family here at Midwest misses you very very much!! We will be more than thrilled to have you back!

I hope that Nicole adjusts well to the changes coming but I assure you... she will miss you! Who wouldn't?!

Laura said...

That is the cutest picture of Nicole...it looks like she is ready for showbiz...ta-da! Good luck preparing to go back to work :)

Mamma Sarah said...

I can't believe that it's that time already, but will be excited to hear how your adjustment back to "real life" goes. It takes time and yes, you will cry. But people will understand. I can't even tell you how many times I cried when I was temping and then again when I started in Cincy. I makes the time you do spend together as family even more precious!

Martha said...

what a cute picture!
enjoy your "mommy and me" time the next few days. :) and best wishes on your transition as a working mom.

Megs said...

I think we need a slideshow posted before you come back to work. You didn't post hardly any pictures of the vacation and I know we're definitely missing out on lots of cute Nicole pictures!