Thursday, July 15, 2010

When I'm gone

I attended my great uncle's funeral yesterday. It was a very nice service that wasn't jam packed full of people and was very personal with a well-written eulogy by his son.

When I go to funerals for "one-off" people like a great uncle (versus my father-in-law 2 months ago) I think about the person who's actually died about 1/2 the time, fret over what the funeral will be like for a close person 1/4 of the time, and wonder about my own funeral about 1/4 of the time.

This time I got stuck on two things:
1) what will the funeral of my atheist friends be like? Will their religious parents still have it in a church? Still have a minister preside over it? Will there still be the "s/he's in a better place now" condolences still be said even though the deceased probably believes that it's all just over and s/he isn't anywhere else?

2) When my maternal grandfather dies I'm going to be a mess. The military salutes are so touching that i teared up in general over Uncle Ed's. When it's actually for my grandfather, a true military hero, I'll be a basketcase.

When I die I intend to donate my body to others who need my organs and then, whatever is left over to science. I personally could care less what happens to my body in general after I'm dead so why not let others use it if they can? Therefore, I think a "Celebration of Life" ceremony like they called the funeral yesterday is most appropriate for me.

Fear not friends, I expect it to be well-catered.

I will want some specific songs sung, just because I like them and this thing will be about MY life afterall. I'd like to think that the event would be well-attended - some sort of outward sign that my life had great impact on others, but if it was small and intimate that would be okay too as it'd probably get more personal.

Really, in general I think these things are for the living, not for the dead. If it makes my loved ones feel better to ____, well, geez, just about anything, go for it. I'm dead afterall! What's it to me?

7 comments:

Laura said...

I've only been to one funeral so far, so I haven't done much thinking about them. I like the "Celebration of Life" idea!

Finlands finest said...

I have been to many funerals. I think they are for the living. A way to get closure, say goodbye and all. I also agree with you about donating organs and body to science and/or people that need the parts. In general, I take GREAT care of myself so I think many of my organs should be useable, as I think yours will be too.

I like the idea of a celebration of life!

D Polley said...

You need to continue to pray for your athiest friends.
The bible says that we all are going to die but our souls live forever. We will either be in heaven or we will be in hell. Those are the choices. There is only ONE way to the Father and that is through Jesus Christ. It is so easy for those that are lost and in sin. All they have to do is repent, and acknowledge the Jesus died for ALL of our sins and that if we repent and turn to him we will have eternal life in Heaven with the Father.
It is a choice we ALL are going to have to make, and we ALL will bow down on bended knee, and have to make an accout of our lives to the Lord. You will either enter the Kingdom of Heaven, or according to scripture, the Lord will say "Turn away from me for I NEVER knew you, you workers of iniquity" and you will be cast into the lake of Fire for all eternity. For those that do not beleive in the Bible, we must continue to pray for them and pray that they will see that they need Jesus more than ever.
You can not get to heaven with Scientology. Mohammad is dead. Buddah is dead. Only Jesus Christ is ALIVE and at the right hand of the Father.
I will praying for all those in the blog.

In Christ

LisaMarie said...

I'm going to wear something racy and scandalous to your funeral. Just to honor you. Can you imagine my 90 year old but in something low cut? LOL!!!!!!!!

Mamma Sarah said...

I'm with Lisa... :-) Then we'll all break out singing and dancing the beer barrel polka. :-)

In all seriousness... A celebration of life is very appropriate. Yes, it's sad, but the best (if there really is such a thing) is where the happy memories are being shared and laughed about. I will never forget my Great Aunt Nina's where we were laughing so hard we were crying and people were staring at us thinking we had lost our minds because we were celebrating her life not mourning our loss.

Mamma Sarah said...

I'm with Lisa... :-) Then we'll all break out singing and dancing the beer barrel polka. :-)

In all seriousness... A celebration of life is very appropriate. Yes, it's sad, but the best (if there really is such a thing) is where the happy memories are being shared and laughed about. I will never forget my Great Aunt Nina's where we were laughing so hard we were crying and people were staring at us thinking we had lost our minds because we were celebrating her life not mourning our loss.

Viki said...

I've been to A LOT of funerals, but I'm fortunate that about half of them have been for people I don't know.

I think it really depends on other people in your life and how they feel. Trey says he really doens't care, and that it doesn't matter if he has a funeral or memorial service. I advocate that there are far too many people who would want to say last good-byes, which are much easier to do if one has a funeral. While it may not matter to him, it would really be one last selfless act.

I'm all about the organ donation thing, and then I would like to be cremated rather than buried so as not to take up space. I want my ashes sprinkled over the Donau river as it flows through Vienna. Trey wants his ashes scattered at Worth Ranch in Texas.