Wednesday, July 07, 2010

More about changing

My last post was about me not liking change. I feel this is sort of a fuddy-duddy statement and I don't want to be thought of as the person who sticks her feet in the sand and won't budge, that really isn't me. I love IMPROVEMENTS and spicing things up - changing art at my house, re-working a process at my job, etc.; but there are some things that are fine the way they are so why adjust a good thing? Like my gradeschool friends - I have three of them and plan on keeping them around for another 24 years.

I think I'm one of the last holdouts on my blog design. Some of my fellow bloggers change several times a year - I always notice and often comment. But I've kept the same layout since this blog's inception in 2005. I did upgrade to the newer format to get the timestamp and have appreciated some of the ease in changes (specifically to my blogroll) by upgrading.

I've debated taking this private for all the reasons that some of the blogs I read are private. However, I'm surprised by who I find out reads this so I wouldn't want to cut someone off if they had to officially "enroll" as a reader. Further, even if I switched employers there's nothing in this blog that a prospective interviewer might cringe at. On the contrary, I think that my blog makes me more "real".

There's a new layout designer that Blogger is offering and I did poke around for a while. Obviously haven't made any changes ... yet.

5 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I never thought of you as someone who didn't like change. I think I understood what you were saying in the last post.

I love change! :)

You are lucky to still have close grade school friends. :)

Jenna said...

I like the privatness a blocked blog offers. I can speak freely about what is really on my mind. Although I often feel like I use it as a replacement for actual conversations.

Viki said...

While I also have urgers to make my blog private because I'd love to vent about certain things, every once in a while I hear about people randomly reading it. I try to make some of my posts somewhat public-servicy, and I'd hate to block people out.

For example, a couple of months ago a friend of Trey's e-mailed me asking for IUD advice because she'd read about it on my blog a few years ago - her doctor was giving her a hard time about it, and she didn't knowingly know anyone else who'd dealt with it before.

Anyway, all that said, I haven't changed my layout in years either - I hardly make enough time to blog these days, though, so I'd rather catch up with posting. :-)

Mamma Sarah said...

The thing I don't like about the private blog thing is that I can't see on my blogroll when anyone updates... :-(

You're certainly not a fuddy-duddy stuck in the mud person... somethings are better left unchanged.

LisaMarie said...

And you all have jobs that don't have 13 year old kids searching for you on the Internet. :P Sorry, just had to get that in there.

Sometimes I hate that I went private with my blog, but then I go back and read some of the things I've said over the years and realize that maybe I should have gone private sooner. :)

But in all seriousness, change has its pros and cons. While it can be refreshing it can also be terrifying. There are certain things in life that should never change and then others that NEED to change to make us better people.