Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nicole

  • One of Nicole's favorite crafty things to do is make hand prints. She's all about painting her hand and putting it to paper. So, her mother has to get creative when it comes to turning all these hand prints into something interesting. So far we've made turkeys (fingers are tail feathers) to tell her teachers she's thankful for them and flower pots (her hand is the pot and fingers are the flower stems; fingerprints make the center of the flowers) amongst others. Last night we finished up a peacock where I let her glue on googly eyes and sequins to make it beautiful.
  • 5 is her favorite number. Everything in her mind should come in fives - five books before bedtime, five minutes of cuddling, five blackberries for breakfast, etc.

  • She astounds me with the volume of song lyrics she knows. She gets a smattering of nursery rhymes (Row Row Row your Boat) and Mom-made-up songs (Your Mommy Loves You) at home, songs off the radio/cd player (I Love Rock n' Roll), songs from her dance parties at school (Hey Mickey), and songs from music class at school (Miss Lucy). She'll randomly break into song and it could be from any of these "genres". The song she sings a lot recently about a turtle in a bathtub was really really cute though.

  • She moves up to the 3-4 year old room next Monday at school. There are a mix of kids from her current class who are also getting moved and some that are 3 1/2 so they're already in this room. We'll see how it goes - I'm optimistic!
  • Her coloring/art is also showing progress. She gets now that you don't just scribble all over the page (though she often does that too) that objects have color and you need to color it accordingly. For example, Pooh's tummy is yellow but his shirt is red. She's also drawing more independant objects like "Dora's Mommy" that she made for the Erdahls. It does somewhat resemble a person (has hair, eyes, a mouth, and is long with limb-like looking things).

  • Mark took some pictures of the kids on Saturday which was really nice of him. It's a further developing hobby of his from what I'm gathering. Both kids were constantly in motion so not all of the pictures are great (an issue with the models, not the photographer) but a lot of them are really fantastic! Since then she's all about posing for pictures....

And in case you were concerned that my kids are perfect (ha ha):

5 comments:

Laura said...

Cute photos! I love the one with Chris pulling Nicole's hair, ha!

What is it with the number 5? I keep waiting for Ella to move beyond it (if there are two candies in front of her and I ask her how many she'll answer 5 even though I know she can count them). It's just that magical number...

Katharine said...

The only number I know in Russian is 5. And I have no idea when/where I learned it. (well...I learned it in Moldova, obviously)
This was a very cute post. I would like to see pictures of her various hand arts. Especially the peacock. And Mark, your pictures are fantastic! I too am fond of the hair pulling, but all of them look great.

Finlands finest said...

I like the pic with Nic's reflection in the table. That is cool!!

Nicole is going to be a rock star. She sings and poses for pics...and we all know her band will have 5 members. ;)

I'm glad you can be so proud of your kids!!

Viki said...

Maybe 5 is such an important number because kids have 5 fingers on one hand...so they can count on one hand while they're doing something else/holding something with the other hand?

I love all of your Nicole updates, & all of your pictures - both these and the ones from NYC!

Mamma Sarah said...

This totally made me smile. Better yet was the last picture!! :-)