Friday, March 18, 2011

Hobbies

Several years ago, before we had kids, Jim was involved in a lot of things - bowling, softball, martial arts, avidly reading, and getting his first certification. He was really busy but that was okay.

He was, however, critical of me for not having any hobbies.

My life felt pretty full at the time so while I listened I didn't take it as "oh, he thinks I have no interests and am boring". Anyway, I'm self-confident enough to not care even if he did. ;)

Honestly, then my hobbies included two core things: reading and socializing. It was pretty widely known that to get on our calendar was a weeks in advance request and I loved the variety of activities and friends we saw on a regular basis.

Post kids, this has changed pretty drastically. Somehow I'm busier than ever:
  • Full time job
  • Adjunct teaching gig
  • Mom
  • Writing a book
  • Bowling league
  • Avid reader
  • Have DVR so I watch 5X (literally) more TV than I did four years ago)
Life still feels full but not uncomfortably so. What's changed is the socializing part. We still see friends but the kids take up time that we'd otherwise be spending eating out with another couple on a Friday night. Our afternoons are spent at the park or coloring instead of meeting a girl friend out at the outlet mall.

Jim and I still spend a considerable amount of time on our own activities (he's still in softball, we bowl together, and he's getting another certification) but we balance that with kid time.

I've been told that as the kids get older the parents of their friends will become some of our closest friends just because our "family time" easily overlaps with their family time (ie at soccer games, swim meets, etc.). I can see that. Adding more friends to our mix sounds daunting though - I don't see our current friends enough (as compared to several years ago!).


4 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Yeah--sometimes I miss you!

Ms. Sarah said...

I would agree that socializing is one of your best hobbies. I'm of the opinion that everything is better with friends, so I would be happy to try an activity that I'm not overly interested in if it involved friends.

Anonymous said...

Great place to get for bankruptcy public records at lowest cost and fastest delivery on internet. It is something like online availability of records.

LisaMarie said...

And don't you find that it's sometimes "easier" to get together with other people that have kids? Because you don't feel guilty about asking those people to get together with your kids around. I know that I feel a lot better about getting together with you or Jessica than several of my friends that don't have kids. Mostly because it's okay if they're loud and crazy because we've all been there. I think that will also draw us to the parents of our kids' friends.