Tuesday, February 15, 2011

One Moment In Time

If you said a person's name my mind will instantly go somewhere. Most of the time it's an image of their face that's a still shot that I've just made up (versus a photo I've seen before).

If someone said "tell me about Lisa" my mind will always jump to a story versus a description. And it's always the same story. I have a "defining moment" with about everyone I know. Some are monumental, some are not. All are meaningful to me in some way or another because it was a time I felt that i was seeing the "real" person and in one way or another I really connected to them at that moment.

Just a few that readily come to mind....

Lisa: Her running past my college door in various states of undress

Grandpa W: His getting weepy over a non-fiction story I wrote of him for my Creative Writing class at UD

Sarah F: Sitting on the bridge at lighthouse retreat in one of those deeply honest conversations

Viki: Eating hummus with her and Laura at her bachelorette party

Jim: The exact moment I fell in love with him- watching a movie with his buddy on the couch and he and I cuddling on the love seat.

Sarah W: in Friendly's cleaning up for the night and gushing over $5 tips

Jenny J: catching up at a bar over one of our breaks in college- just her and I living it up and getting tipsy sentimental

Chuck: watching him watch Kristi walk down the aisle

Tom P: dinner at The Back Porch

Mike: eating chinese and learning Lindsay was pregnant

Greg: laying in bed when we were kids singing the "Oh They Built the Ship Titanic" song - we were rehearsing for a recital we put on for my parents later that month




6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Those were the days!! lol I think about yearbook class and us playing with each others hair, except I see it from a 3rd person perspective. :)

gtemp032@gmail.com said...

I remember the song but forget the words to it...

Dale said...

"Jim: The exact moment I fell in love with him- watching a movie with his buddy on the couch and he and I cuddling on the love seat."

Damn, talk about the definition of a third wheel.

Ms. Sarah said...

What I find interesting (and even more meaningful) about this is that as I was reading your top paragraph and thought of what our "defining moment" might be, I immediately had the same image as you. It flashed so vividly in my mind that I felt cold, as we were that night.

Ms. Sarah said...

And just for the record, I also immediately thought of Lisa's various states of undress running down the hallway, hahaha!

LisaMarie said...

I will forever be naked in your minds. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. :P

My moment for you, Karen is not the same. It's the day you helped me roll the carpet into my room at Marycrest and we were sweaty and gross, but you did it. True friendship, right there!