Monday, December 06, 2010

Announcing

I'm writing a book.

I've told a few people sporadically but hadn't made any kind of formal announcement. I'm about 55% of the way done and I suspect it'll be about 60,000 words when I'm finished. I'm hoping by letting people know it'll keep me honest about finishing it.

My ambition started when I first decided to write a Grammy award-winning song. Sounded good on paper - all I needed was 3 verses and a catchy refrain. I figured I could live off the royalties and a few companies would pick it up for their commercials (ala Hey Soul Sister which is EVERYWHERE). Good plan, eh? :)

I'm not musical enough to do it though.

Several people over the years said that they liked my writing style and I should give authoring a novel a whirl. I've had a fortune, as in one out of a cookie, taped to my moniter at work for five years. It's faded and barely legible. It reads: You are a lover of words. Someday you will write a book. Lucky Numbers 8, 11, 24, 25, 31, 36. (I also have one that says You are going to have a very comfortable old age. Lucky Numbers 7, 18, 94, 25, 36, 11 taped to the monitor too- maybe they coincide!?) After lunch with a friend, who encouraged the same thing so sincerely, I decided to actually go through with it.

It's a romance that's pretty Harlequin-esque. I've been doing lots of research online about the best way to publish and it sounds like going to a literary agent is the way to approach it.

I have one reader now, Sarah F., who's reading as I go. When I'm done with the first draft (goal is by 12/31/10) I'm going to take Jim's suggestion and send it to several friends (any volunteers?) who'll help me edit and revise before i send it to someone professional for review.

I think it's good, not great, but it's also my first try and by far the longest thing I've ever written. Jim says that even if it's not picked up by any publishers we'll still have it bound because finishing a task like this is accomplishment enough.

I love him and his support. :)

11 comments:

Laura said...

That's amazing! A friend of mine decided to make a cookbook so she hired a company to print and bind a few hundred books and she sells them herself. I don't know how copy rights go, but if it didn't get picked up by an editor you could always go that route. I've also heard that sometimes writers have to submit to editors dozens of times before their book is chosen...so keep at it!

Finlands finest said...

I would love to read it and my sister is a book publisher. Her old company was one of the few you didn't need an agent to go through. My thoughts: if she reads it and thinks it is good, she probably knows a few agents she can talk to. I will talk to her about this when she is home, if you haven't already. :)

Jenna said...

Whats it about?

Dale said...

Karen, I'd love to be a reader if you would have me! I think it's great that you're doing this. If Jim hasn't told you yet, Tom S suggested a website that gets you published cheaply and you sell it on Amazon.

Speaking of fortunes, I keep two. One says something like "A business opportunity awaits you." The other one says something like "A romantic interest awaits you tonight." :)

Martha said...

I like Jim's idea! Good luck!!

Caitlin said...

I'll be happy to read it!

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I'll read it!

David Polley said...

Karen,
If I am not mistaken, somewhere way back in your blog, before you even had children, I recall saying you could write a book and call it "Living Life, the Best I Know How"
I will say here on your blog that I might have been the first to suggest it in this forum.
Check it an see for me. If I am wrong I was a very near second.

Good For You.....

Katrin said...

That is so great, I would read it too, if you'd want an international opinion. I like to read and I studied English literature for my major... If that counts for anything!

I'm VERY impressed. :)

Jen W. said...

I want to read it also, or at the very least buy a published copy!!!

Ms. Sarah said...

Fantastic, now I'll have people to discuss the book with!

So far I'm a big fan of the book. It's light, an easy read, and engaging.

Keep it coming!