Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Eating Habits

I've been a bit blah lately when it comes to eating. Normally I'm all about variety - Indian, Chinese, Mexican, good ole' American- whatever! The last week though nothing sounds particularly good.

These blahs are jacking up my creativity for dinner too - I can't think beyond the common (BBQ Chicken again, anyone?). Having such boring meals doesn't really inspire me to eat as much either which is good news for Chris who is happy to eat all of his food and any of my leftovers. In fact, he's eaten as much or more than me for the last several days.

Any suggestions to jump-start my culinary skills?

5 comments:

Dale said...

Yes... Take a trip to Jungle Jims!

Laura said...

Ever watch $10 Dinners? She cooks the way I do, and every single recipe I have tried from her has been good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/ten-dollar-dinners-with-melissa-darabian/recipes/index.html

I suggest the butterscotch pudding (I leave out the pepper...it's amazing.

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I concur with Dale!

Martha said...

have a competition! You and Jim can have iron chef-life competitions. Pull a couple items from the pantry, one has to make the main entree, the other a side dish.
Like Dale said - go to Jungle Jims. Find an ingredient you've never cooked/eaten and research a new recipe to try!
read your old cookbooks, look a food magazines and look for pictures that LOOK good to you.
Think back to a memorable event - your first date meal or gramma's "famous" dish you love but have never cooked. try to recreate it!
Go to the farmers market and buy super-fresh ingredients. They're always inspiring. :)
Try something new. Make pasta from scratch or bread to go with soup, etc!
Fall is great for soooo many foods! Squash, figs, apples, pears. Mmmmmmmmm!

Viki said...

Do a subscription to Cuisine at Home magazine - there are a bunch of easier, but fancy looking recipes. They take a while to put together at first, but it gets easier and quicker once you get the prep out of the way more quickly.

Trey and I cut our subscription because with him in school this past year we're almost never home together to cook, and when we are we have about enough time to make spaghetti or bake some chicken. I can't wait until he's done and get can get back to cooking together. :-)