Friday, July 24, 2009

Firsts

Yesterday was a day of firsts for Chris:

1) he gave me my first moment of Chris panic – In the bathroom of Chik-fil-a I was using the restroom and Nicole pulled on the plastic bag of the sanitary napkin trash bin. It fell off the shelf and landed on Chris. All three of us went into alarm mode and both kids started crying. I pulled it off him, unbuckled him out of the car seat and picked him up right away. Fortunately his crying subsided almost immediately upon being held. Nicole on the other hand was scared and kept saying “sorry, baby Chris”- she took more effort to stop the tears. I called the doctor and asked what types of signs to look for should he have any head trauma (I think it just landed in his lap versus hitting his head) and in the last 24 hours I haven’t seen any of said symptoms so I’m assuming he’s okay.

2) We got recognized by a stranger- another mom at the Chick-fil-a playground started talking to me and asked “weren’t you at Parky’s Farm the other day?” Wow… I’m getting in with the stay-at-home mom crowd.

3) First blow-out- Chris’s poops are textbook new baby – mustard yellow, thin and seedy. I can always tell when he’s about to poop though – he gets wiggly, crunches his legs up and contorts his face as if he’s pushing a boulder through his bowels. His poops are always very audible and incredibly forceful. I have no idea why pooping the equivalent texture of pea soup takes so much effort, but apparently it does. Yesterday’s poop was no different in the signs leading up to it but the squirt seemed louder and longer… when I picked him up my fingertips were wet and the really cute outfit I had on him was all slimy with baby poop at the leg and up the back. Fortunately I’ve developed an amazing tolerance for poop of all textures and quantities, a skill I’m not proud of but routinely grateful for (poor Jim still sometimes gags…).

1 month and 1 day – kid’s still alive and I’m still sane! Wa-hoo!

6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Yay! Chris is still alive and you are still sane. Not only that, but you are doing tons of fun stuff with them, things Chris will never remember but Nic should!

I'm still not a fan of poop!

Laura said...

That bathroom incident sounded scary. I bet Nicole never tugs on another thing in the bathroom!

Mamma Sarah said...

:-) Baby poop amazes me even after 2 kids. :-)

Martha said...

Congratulations!

LisaMarie said...

LOL! I totally don't miss those types of blowouts! We kept a running tally of all of the public places we had to change outfits and diapers. It got lengthy.

Although, we've had several of a grosser variety with Max lately. And it always seems that he's able to find that one spot on the edge of the diaper where the poop will inevitably pop out and leak down his leg...to then plop on the ground when I pull him out of his carseat.

Jenna said...

Goodness I don't even have to see it; just hearing it makes me gag...

I have terribly weak gag reflexes though...