Monday, January 24, 2011

Book Editing in Progress

Well, the book went online for editing this weekend. I have a crew of a dozen friends who volunteered which is probably 2X more than what I need. Ah well.

So far the first chapter has been universally panned. My gut reaction was to be let down, as I think most people's would, but I remembered that when I was doing the editing on the first draft even I hated the first chapter. So much so that I brought five romances to bed one night and just read their first chapters to compare quality to mine.

Problem is, while I agree it's not very strong, I'm not sure how to fix it.... UGH.

The other thing that's getting to me is that not everyone who offered to read has. I know i just mentioned that i probably have too many editors and don't need this much feedback but since they volunteered i'm waiting anxiously for their missing reviews.

I know, I know, it's day 3, people do have real jobs, etc....

4 comments:

David P. said...

Have patience oh ye of little faith, new young writer....

Patience.....

Dale said...

I'm still waiting for the Kindle edition.

Laura said...

When I have a pattern tested I usually get about a dozen volunteers, and end up with 2 or 3 people who give me useful feedback. Usually one will go above and beyond and actually contribute things that I end up using. I would expect about the same for the book...most of your friends may read it, but most won't offer any useful critiques....but it only takes one really good helper to point out the things you are missing. Good luck!

Finlands finest said...

I'm sorry, I have been a little busy. I am hoping to be back on track with the editing soon!